kchace
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS View Post
Thank you for replying everyone.
Unfortunately I have no tank drains. No fuel thief, as tanks were still full at commissioning. The filler neck is not flush to deck but that is a possible source. The black paper gaskets in the screw on cap are old. Kind of like thin tar paper. I’ve had no luck finding replacements. Ideas about substitutes?
Also, any thoughts on proceeding from here? Keep running and draining?
Try getting fuel polished? What could happen if water gets by the filter/separator?
Aside; Is fuel polishing a general maintenance item or as needed item?
Again, many thanks,
Steve

Paper gaskets sounds extremely suspicious. I've seen a lot of fill caps but nothing so poor as a paper gasket. Could you post a picture of the filler open with the cap next to it?

You can keep running and draining when you see water, but you'll never get all the water out of your tanks that way and water in the tanks causes other problems too, such as corrosion of the tank and allowing bacteria and/or fungi to grow in it. The growth will also start to clog your fuel system.

Polishing generally won't get the water out of your tanks either unless you can somehow draw from the very bottom. The only way to get all the water out of the tank is to draw from the lowest point. If you can't do that via a plumbed opening, then you have to open the top of the tank and suck it out.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote