View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #10
rsn48
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
Personally I think the Cutwater and Ranger Tugs are ideal for your Pacific Northwest waters and our coastal BC waters. There are a few places where its nice to have some speed to get through it. The Strait of Georgia is one, Johnstone Strait is another, and the back channels East of Johnstone Strait is another. If you start cruising in your area I can guarantee you it won't be long before you coming up my way.

Folks have gone to Alaska on much smaller than what you are considering and I'm planning on going to Alaska next year I hope or the year after. So you are really purchasing for extended cruising whether you realize it or not.

My philosophy after sailing on many boats of various sizes and living full time in a 17, 21, 35 foot trailer and a 32 foot motorhome during two massive home renovations, is that I am best purchasing the smallest boat that will make me happy. I could be very happy in either of your two choices.

Its always difficult to access bad news about a particular maker of boats. Nordhaven has a good reputation and loyal following yet there is a video made by an owner who was not happy with the quality of work on his boat and hired two experienced surveyors to back him up and Nordhaven wouldn't honour their findings. So there you go, what do you do with that information?

I will suggest another choice and I'm guessing you might have problems finding one and it will be probably more money even though it will be used. Check out the Corvette 340, its nick name is the "Baby Fleming" and although not owned by Fleming, senior execs at Fleming own it and its built in the same yard as Flemings. I'll give you a link below. It is considered one of the roomiest of 34's, for one reason it extends the living space pretty much to the transom and the cockpit is on the roof of the aft cabin.

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote