What is the best response?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captDJ

Veteran Member
Yesterday, after mentioning I’d rather save money to spend on the boat, a perfect stranger asked me if I know the best 2 days in a boat owners life, you all know what comes next, which I totally disagree with because every day I spend on my boat IS THE BEST DAY EVER, so is there a polite response?

I tell them it is the day I sell my boat and then the day I buy my next boat.

Yesterday, after mentioning I’d rather save money to spend on the boat, a perfect stranger asked me if I know the best 2 days in a boat owners life, you all know what comes next, which I totally disagree with because every day I spend on my boat IS THE BEST DAY EVER, so is there a polite response?

I just smile, chuckle, and move on. A “good response” isn’t necessary for most folks. Maybe different for good friends and family, but I really don’t feel I need to try and correct/respond to others when they make ill-conceived comments.

I just say “no, what are they?” After they tell me the answer I just say “ I don’t get it”. That completely ends the conversation.

Best day? Just right now... Yesterday is over and is good memories, tomorrow, not sure I will have one.

L

If you feel the need to make a response, "It depends on whether you own a Dock Queen or actually cruised the boat".

The other alternative would be to name your best day, location, and ask them if they want to hear the story. They won't. ;)

Ted

"I just spent three months in the Bahamas as I do every year - what were you doing?"

Tell them exactly what you posted.... :)

There are two reasons for owning a boat:

1) You're a boater. It's in your blood. No second thoughts.

2) Someone convinced you that you should own a boat. You bought it but never really figured out what to do with it. You were glad you finally got rid of it.

The comment in the OP comes from the second group. They will never understand. Avoid associating with that group.

As for an answer, how about this one:

The worst day out on a boat is still better than the best day ashore.

Greetings,
How about...

200w.webp

I too have always inwardly cringed at this remark.

When I have sold a boat it is letting a wonderful, personable, beloved go (usually to buy another boat, but sometimes to deal with issues in life that will not allow a boat). It is a sad day more than happy.

When I buy a boat it is a happy day. Yes, very stressful and plans and issues rumbling around in my head and heart; but I have done my homework, gotten the best price I thought I could get, chosen the boat I wanted and have dreamt about, and know (sometimes) the issues of the boat i am facing.

And dream of all the adventures yet to come on my new boat.

Anyone who says these remarks really does not know boats or boating as you and I (and many on this wonderful forum) know and appreciate boats.

Whatever i say to these type of people will not change them. So I just walk away and smile at the new beauty in my life.

Tim

:popcorn: RT, once again, said it best.

I told my daughter that if she ever learns that I've listed my boat for sale, she should call and check on me because it means I'm on my death bed.

“Boating is the best time you can buy.”

When they ask the question, answer "yes. The days you work on the boat and the days you play on the boat."

Back in the early 70's when I began spending more than is rational on my first 'big' boat, my accountant patiently pointed out that I could charter a similar boat twice a year, every year, almost anywhere in the world, for less than the cost of ownership.

We also agreed that I could never be an accountant.

He was right of course, but I'll be paying and playing with (my) boat for as long as it keeps delivering some of life's most satisfying adventures.

I just say today and tomorrow.

My new accountant said that owning a boat was a terrible investment. I told him that if he wanted to remain my accountant he was never to discuss the boat.

Greetings,
Mr. L. Doesn't sound like much of a accountant to even refer to a boat as any sort of investment.

He thought we could spend money more wisely such as beachfront property. I told him the boat was a separate line item and was not to be included in long term planning. The boat is a separate line item in the family budget. Health issues will only allow us so much time so we are enjoying now while we can.

Without saying a thing, I just give them the look. You know the cocked head questioning look in which the person asking has to figure out if 1.) I'm stupid, 2.) They're stupid, or 3.) I didn't hear them correctly.

If they choose 3.), and say it again, they get exactly the same look, which on all but the most dense of people, narrows it down to two choices.

Either way, whichever they choose, their decision doesn't bother me a bit. We can move on to other things. Or not.

I have other methods of dealing with this unrequested anecdotal advice. But the OP specifically asked for a polite response.

Last edited:
I'm a Yacht Broker. I've had old men tear up, women hit me crying "you sold my boat" (even though that's what they hired me to do). For true boaters it's sad day when they sell, even if they are getting a bigger, newer, "better boat". It's more of a part of them and their story. For those that don't get it, they never will.

This, and the whole "do you know what boat stands for" question irritate the piss out of me. For both of these "#@%# off" is generally a good response.

I would say...That may be true for a 2nd or 3rd boat but you obviously haven't experienced the Joy's of boating... are you the "workaholic" type by any chance?

Apparently you have never owned the "right boat" or you didn't know how to use it.

Tell them them your actual best day. Nothing shuts up blowhards faster than a truth told straight and they might learn something.

I sold my big boat and was desperate because it ran my money dry. Was happy for that reason, but to this day my heart still beats softer when I think about her and the adventures we had.

Recently I sold my Qatari boat because we're leaving the country. Tiny little panga type thing. But this photo in my collection is labeled "Mako driving away... goodbye!.jpg" of the new owner taking her away.

To the OP, when someone makes that dumb cliche remark to you, just ignore them. It's not worth your time to explain something they'll likely never understand.

Attachments

• Mako driving away... goodbye!.jpg
    Mako driving away... goodbye!.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom