Californian 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skipper

Does anyone out there have any information on the 30' Californian.* It looks like an awesome boat but there are not many out there.* Questions:

-How many did they make?

-Engine options?

-Were twin engines an option?

-Exact dimensions and weight?

Any other information would be great.

THANKS!!

I didn't know they existed. They're not shown here.*

I did find a listing in Yachworld.*

Interesting, but you give up a lot in length and*beam and lose the flybridge and wide side decks compared to the 34 LRC.* OTOH,*reduced*engine maintenance and fuel bill, purchase price and dock fees.* And check out the draft 2'2".* It looks very livable for extended trips.* I'd love to see one up close.

Here are the dimensions shown in the YW listing:
LOA: 29 ft 6 in
Beam: 10 ft 3 in
Maximum Draft: 2 ft 2 in

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 328
i like it..
the interior and part of the exteriors looks a lot like our 38'.
wonder what speed it musters on the one 3208?

I'm living aboard my 30ft Californian. It is a great boat. Easy to maneuver, economical, and a lot of space for just a 30ft boat. Plus she just looks good! Mine does have a flybridge unlike the one posted above.

I'd be interested to find out more about the 30 footers, can't seem to find much info anywhere on the web about these...

FlyWright wrote:

*___________________________________________

We had a 30'*in our marina for sale by one of the Anacortes dealerships a few years ago.** It was a cute boat, looked like a skinny 34'. *This one had a flybridge too. *Only one I've ever seen.*

The book, above, doesn't list all the models, 37' tricabin built in 1976 and 77 and the 38'*tricabin from*1975 - 82 aren't listed either.

Larry B

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 08:59:50 PM

Welcome to the Trawler Forum, ERJPilot.* If you have the time, can you post up some pics, especially the interior layout?* I'd love to see a Californian 30 in person someday. * Did they call it an LRC?* Is your a Cat 3208 single w 120 gals of fuel?

Looks like you're got a rare bird.

Rare bird or not, this is definitely a great boat and I get quite a few compliments even though she still needs a little work.

It wasn't referred to as an LRC by anyone when I was purchasing it.* It is a single Perkins 130hp (Model 6.3544 according to what little paperwork I have on it).* For some reason I was thinking I had twin 75 gallon fuel tanks but perhaps they are 60 gallon tanks.* I'm not sure where I got that number now that I think about it though.

From what I understand it had a turbo at one time, but that was taken off two owners ago.* She definitely isn't fast, 9 kts is the most I've seen out of it, and at what I think is a comfortable cruise speed it goes about 6-7kts.

Here are a couple of pics of the inside:

Attachments

• img_1115.jpg
    img_1115.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 248
  • img_1117.jpg
    img_1117.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 302
Hi All,
Nov.30'th I purchaced a 30 Californian here in Southeastern Ma. She is an 81 and hull # 25. A flybridge model with a single Perkins 63544 natural. In the process of restoration although she is still completely seaworthy after all her years. Any one with electrical schematics would be a savior as I am spending the winter with my ohm meter and test light. Cruise speed for this vessel is 8 kts and she will top out @13 with a good clean bottom. Short of a few minor differences she is identicle to the one pictured from ERJpilot.

Hi All,
Nov.30'th I purchaced a 30 Californian here in Southeastern Ma. She is an 81 and hull # 25. A flybridge model with a single Perkins 63544 natural. In the process of restoration although she is still completely seaworthy after all her years. Any one with electrical schematics would be a savior as I am spending the winter with my ohm meter and test light. Cruise speed for this vessel is 8 kts and she will top out @13 with a good clean bottom. Short of a few minor differences she is identicle to the one pictured from ERJpilot.

I don't get as much speed out of mine, at one point mine was turbocharged though and a previous owner had the turbo taken off and a nice custom heat exchanger built. Perhaps they didn't change the prop and that's what mine needs a change to get it moving at a more reasonable speed when needed.

Al, I made an offer the 30 Californian without the upper helm. I never heard back from the broker. At that price I figured I could have her trucked to NJ.
I ended up with a bigger boat anyway.
Bill

My father in law and his friend had serial numbers 3&4 (or 2&3, I forget which) of the first 30s shipped out to marysville wa back in the day. I only know the boat through pictures, but he loved it dearly. My wife, her sister and brother still talk of their summers growing up on that boat. We later spent a few summers with a 34 together before buying the 48 Tolly. All the real Californians were significantly over built. There used to be a fellow I met two years in a row up at Roche, who spent quite a bit of time with Jules, can't remember his name now, but he knew just about anything you ever wanted to know about how they got started and how most of the early boats came about.

I suggest hanging out at Roche for the rest of the summer and see if you run into the same fellow. I could think of worse ways to spent my time. :)

Sorry, not much help on the 30s other than those who had them, loved them.

We bought that one in Victoria in 2011. If I can ever get some photos downsized to go on would be nice. We LOVE our 30’, it has a Perkins diesel 165 with turbo. We cruise around 7-8k, 1800 rpm for economy. Husband added a 3’ swimgrid with a fish cleaning station on the back. Makes wonderful storage for extra water.

This is identical in setup as our 30'. Love ours.

I did find a listing in Yachworld.*

Interesting, but you give up a lot in length and*beam and lose the flybridge and wide side decks compared to the 34 LRC.* OTOH,*reduced*engine maintenance and fuel bill, purchase price and dock fees.* And check out the draft 2'2".* It looks very livable for extended trips.* I'd love to see one up close.

Here are the dimensions shown in the YW listing:
LOA: 29 ft 6 in
Beam: 10 ft 3 in
Maximum Draft: 2 ft 2 in
We own a 30' Californian since 2012. We have learned to trust it and enjoy it since our beginnings with it. Its very comfortable, well set up, and economic with the single Perkins diesel motor. Yes it is 29'6", and 10' beam, your dimensions are correct.
We spent 32 lovely days on the ocean last year with family and friends. A bit crouded with 5 of us, but lots of fun. I prefer 4 of us over 5.

Last edited:
Our 30' also has a flying bridge which is very nice. We put a freezer up top and it works great right behind the bench where we drive. If the weather is nice, my favourite spot is up front in a lawn chair while we travel.

Back
Top Bottom