Prop nuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailr1

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tranquility Base
Vessel Make
Defever 49 CMY
the prop nuts that I need are left hand 1-1/4x7(to fit a 1-3/4in. shaft) the thick one is 11/4 in. Thick and the thin one is 3/4 in. Thick the nuts must be either bronze or stainless steel. Thank you.

Most any reputable prop shop should have access to these, have you tried them?

Most any reputable prop shop should have access to these, have you tried them?
Yes of course. Just about everyone in annapolis Maryland area. Boat goes back in on Monday.
Thank you

McMaster-Carr?
They ship overnight

Just looked they list what you need.

Last edited:
You can only move forward, there is no going back

-sorry, but it does bump you thread back up.

Ordered f McMaster but they are not the correct width. Too wide. Not enough room f cotter key to lock as they are not self locking. Don’t want the nuts to fall off while underway. Thank you.

Ordered f McMaster but they are not the correct width. Too wide. Not enough room f cotter key to lock as they are not self locking. Don’t want the nuts to fall off while underway. Thank you.

That would be an easy grinding job to get them to the correct width.

Yes, thank u. I am looking f a machine shop to do just that.
May have to wait until next haul out as Friday is it!
Thank you all again.

Hate it when your nuts fall off underway... make sure you put the thin nut on first and the thick nut on last.

Which nut first?

Yes, it should.

On this matter, of all the articles out there, I found this one to best explain the mechanics on why to use the thin nut first. Makes perfect sense.

https://www.followingseas.media/blog/2017/2/8/the-truth-about-prop-nuts-and-why-it-matters

The naval guidelines for ships is also a good reference. See page 96 regarding jam nuts

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/nstm/ch075.pdf

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom