Kohler 9E0ZD generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomsboat

Vessel Make
Mainship Trawler
I have a kohler 9EOZD generator on my 40 ft Mainship trawler.The top of the sound shield is off because it is so tight to the deck.The coolant cap is on the top and can't be reached.Is there anyway to get coolant into the system by other means ,coolant over flow bottle or other means?Tom

I have the same generator. If you can't even get the cap off, I don't know how you'd fill it up from anywhere else since the air would have to escape if you are pumping it from below like the heat exchanger. You can fill through the overflow tank tube IF you can get the cap off.

I have about 6" of clearance above mine and use a pump and tube to fill.

I'm lucky if I have a 1'' of space above it. The original owner took the top shield out I don't no how he got it out but they could not get it back on.

If you can't even reach the cap with your hand, I wonder if you could use some kind of long screwdriver and pop the cap (not remove it, just the 1/4 - 1/2 turn that releases pressure) by pushing on one of the ears. With it popped, you should be able fill via the overflow bottle tube slowly.

Generator cap

Tere is not enough space can't even see the cap. T om

That's an ugly situation. I think you're going to have problems trying to fill with any other point due to air pockets. It will be very hard to avoid air locks if you can't get the air out via the pressure cap (the highest point in the system).

How about a small pump I have used for gear oil for a outboard lower end oil?

Imo. I would look into making an access hatch. If you can check cool Level or the condition of the cap. It's a ticking time bomb waiting to burn it self up.

Imo. I would look into making an access hatch. If you can check cool Level or the condition of the cap. It's a ticking time bomb waiting to burn it self up.

Excellent advice, not being able to fill and make sure the air was all out of the system is very important to longevity of the unit. I would use a 6” or 8” round deck lid type.

deck plate

I'm going with a deck plate I would rather put in a BIG hatch but I think it would be to big a job.The access to the aft pump is a joke.Tom

Back
Top Bottom