visiting the FL Keys by Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kokopelliTim

Vessel Name
boatless
I am a complete virgin in terms of the FL Keys.

Eventually I shall be able to cruise in southern FL. But the opportunity is rising later this year to drive down to FL and visit the Keys for several days.

So. For those who know the Keys, I would like to know what you would suggest for me to visit.
I am not looking necessarily for bars and all. I am looking for places you have found, marinas to look at for future reference, simple places to stay (hotels, campgrounds), things I need to see to make the Keys special.

I know different seasons suggest varied things to do. I shall be looking to go possibly in late summer, Fall (I know not the best of weather and all; but such is life).

So, what can you suggest, advise to visit and not to visit.

Webpages to visit?
Marinas to check out?
Special sites, places that others might not know about that you would like to share.

Thank you.

Tim

Greetings,
Mr. k. I can't remember anything about the keys other than the traffic on the 2 lane highway. I think an extra 2 lanes has been added along some of the route but try to plan your drive on less busy days (I suspect the weekends are the busiest).

Don't know the schedule, but when there are Flea Markets, they are on Saturday. Very slow traffic on those days.

If you're driving in and all the traffic is driving out, turn around, there's a hurricane coming. :rolleyes:

From Key Largo to Key West is about 100 miles by road. I would suggest targeting a few areas to get a feel for the area. Ones to consider might be:
Key West
Marathon
Key Largo through Islamorada

There are loads of marinas and anchorages in the keys, getting a feel for which area you might want to boat in should be the first step. During the summer, lots of people come down on Friday and go home Sunday evening. Monday through Thursday would be my targetted sightseeing days. Always a good idea to have accommodation reservations well in advance. When coming down or leaving, staying in Homestead, FL (just before the Keys) is quite a bit cheaper.

Ted

The huge fishing supply store in Islamorada has a sister ship to Hemmingway's Pilar and a nice upstairs restaurant and Zane Gray history section. In KY Louie's back yard restaurant is good and a bit off the KY kitsch.

Even though it may not meet many of your criteria, I would spend a few nights in Key West in the historical district. It won't be cheap, $200+night.

But KW is an experience. Yes Duval is trashy but there are some nice bars along the way. There is the Green Parrot where you can listen to some great jazz. And some decent restaurants on or near Duval. The bars and restaurants off of Duval at Key West Bight are more laid back and are where the boaters come for drinks and a burger. And don't miss the circus at Mallory Square at sunset.

Mel Fishers museum and the Hemingway house are both worth a visit.

David

Marathon has a fairly new hotel at the Fara Blanco marina. Nice restaurant.

Burdines - if you like hamburgers is near by.

Marinas I'd visit for potential future visits would be Faro Blanco, Stock Island and the grouping of Conch, Bight, A and B and Galleon. Three different locations and different types of marina experiences.

I'll group sightseeing a bit. First, traditional Key West attractions. Hemingway House, Truman Little White House, Duval Street, Mallory Square, Lighthouse, Mel Fisher's, and Shipwreck Museum. In that I'll include art galleries as you can start at one end and walk along through 8 to 10 different and unique galleries. Also, the Aquarium.

Then what I'll call the nature grouping. There are some great sunset sailings and eco-tours, and then the trip to the Dry Tortugas is wonderful.

As to restaurants, there are nice and interesting ones all the way down. We do like Hogfish at Stock Island. Then in Key West, Green Parrot Bar was mentioned. It's worth a trip there even if you don't consume alcohol there. It's just a bit of what's special about Key West. Blue Heaven is like that as a restaurant. It's just very much Key West. We never make a trip without at least grabbing a meal at Fisherman's Cafe. The ultimate Beach Shack. Now, our favorite restaurants in Key West may be Bliss and Louie's Backyard. Then for dessert in the most unique setting you'll never top Better Than Sex. It's a romantic dessert restaurant designed for couples and when you combine the atmosphere and the desserts, it's always worth the trip.

If you want to get the best of Key West, open your mind as you enter. Absorb the freedom that it is. Walk or rent bicycles. Observe people but don't judge them. Experience Key West as it is, not as it compares to anywhere else you've been. Key West is more than a place. It's a culture, an environment, an experience.

Your first stop even before you leave the main land should be Alabama Jacks for lunch. Take Card Sound Road from US1 toward the Card Sound Bridge. Just before you get to the bridge, Jacks is on the right. It’s an open air restaurant that serves great conch fritters. It’s a real Keys experience and you haven’t even gotten to the keys. When you cross the bridge after lunch, take your time and enjoy the view.

If you're driving in and all the traffic is driving out, turn around, there's a hurricane coming. :rolleyes:

Or,,,, it is the last day of Fantasy Fest and everyone is heading back up the keys. We made the mistake of driving down to sightsee and had to return to Key Largo and sat in bumper to bumper traffic for hours...

Or,,,, it is the last day of Fantasy Fest and everyone is heading back up the keys. We made the mistake of driving down to sightsee and had to return to Key Largo and sat in bumper to bumper traffic for hours...

We went to Fantasy Fest for the first time last year. Now, we went by boat, but we had friends who were there by car. They drove home the following morning though to avoid the traffic.

Just One tip. Don't drive thru Miami. If you figure out a way, let me know.;)
Depending on the direction you're coming from, you want to take the Ronald Reagan Turnpike from either interstate 75 or the Florida Turnpike. Just say no to Rt 1 North of Homestead.

Ted

Will second Hogfish grill at Stock Island - great food.

No one has mentioned Robbies in Islamorada yet, hard to beat hand feeding 100Lb+ tarpon.
Also if you are a member of a Yacht Club you may have access to a few like the Key West Yacht Club, not in the heart of old town but conveniently close.

Cheers :socool:

Thank you everyone!

You have given me many good ideas and a solid beginning. If I were to do everything already mentioned; I would need to eat several times each day and stay for a month!

Which might not be bad :)

What you all have written whets my appetite to go very soon.

Thank you.

Tim

Hey Bill,

Those were the days weren't they? Some day you and I must sip a few beers and tell some old stories of those cowboy days in Key West and Marathon. The stuff we saw and did is hard for even me to believe.

:socool:

If you make it all the way down stop in at Key West Marine Hardware. Mom & pop store where I used to by plenty back in my Key West boat building days.

Small town

It was a small town then. More so than a resort. Still beautiful but changed much. Let me know when you are in Jax next. We can get some lunch.

Hey Bill,

Those were the days weren't they? Some day you and I must sip a few beers and tell some old stories of those cowboy days in Key West and Marathon. The stuff we saw and did is hard for even me to believe.

Will do, I'll probably be up there for the launching of that boat I was on last time we met, month or so

It was a small town then. More so than a resort. Still beautiful but changed much. Let me know when you are in Jax next. We can get some lunch.

I'll add, it's a beautiful drive; take your time. Watch the speed limits in the towns. Rent a rusty bike, or a moped - much easier to park. I don't know if it's still open (or still operates as it once did), but try Garden of Eden, rooftop bar - go at night - you won't need your swimsuit.

Todd

Living on the East Coast of Florida

Those of us that live on the East Coast of Florida are very lucky. Coastal Cruising is just the best in Florida. From Jacksonville to the Keys and on the West Coast to Tarpon Spring where the Intracoastal ends. This thread was about the Keys so most of my friends that cruise South Florida have to watch the depth. As a standard most don't go the bay side of the keys unless they have less than 4 feet of draft. Hawks Channel on the Atlantic side is the safer way to go for deep draft boats. I have put all my routes through the Keys and all of Florida in a KMZ file for Google Earth. You may download it at:
Google Cruising

Fl keys

Take 95 South into Miami. Go West on 836 to the Palmetto Expressway. South to 1 then onto the Keys. Stop in Islamorada at Lorelei Bar, Grill and Marina. Great food and drinks. Visit the Bass Pro Sho and see a sister ship of Pilar. Head on down to KW but make sure you travel during the day. Nighttime speed limits are very slow due to the Key Deer. There is plenty to do in KW besides bar hop, but just for the hell of it, stop by Sloppy Joes (during the day). Blue Heaven is the best breakfast in town. Louis Back Yard. Lots of great food everywhere. Wreckers Museum, Mel Fisher Museum, Blackbeard’s (if it’s still there). Snorkeling trips, Fly to Ft Jefferson, or take fast ferry. Evening sunset cruise on a tall ship. I like the America or Wolf. Mallory square at sunset and all the street players. Especially the trained cats. People watch. Believe me, you won’t be board. Just check online and try and avoid going during one of the many festivals, although Conch Republic Days and Hemmingway Days are fun.
Good luck.

Tim
The Keys are a very long slow speed trip. Mile Markers is what everyone uses for location. Not much to do there except water ( diving fishing and boating). Until you get to KW where it is drinking and shopping. I have been there many times and rent a condo for a week at a time and bring my trailable boat, what out as there is not much water and it may be a coral head that sheers off your prop.
Robbies.com to feed the snook, hens and chickens to dive and snorkel, islamarada sand bar

Eclectic place by key largo called key lime sailing club, check it out on line. Had a ball there a couple years ago.

I'll add, it's a beautiful drive; take your time. Watch the speed limits in the towns. Rent a rusty bike, or a moped - much easier to park. I don't know if it's still open (or still operates as it once did), but try Garden of Eden, rooftop bar - go at night - you won't need your swimsuit.

Todd

Wifey B: Garden of Eden very open. :rofl: It's on top of the Bull and Whistle. :D

Bryant. You brought back so many memories as I haven't made the trip for several years Thank you

You are welcome ��. We were there for Thanksgiving week. I’m going back 2nd week of June. I never tire of it.

Back
Top Bottom