View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #17
ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Thanks, it does help.

To clarify one point: I DO (0 resistance) or DO NOT (infinite resistance) want connectivity between shaft and tube?

I kinda thought the shaft wouldn't actually be touching the tube, but then I don't know what the inside of all that looks like...

The flange around the tube is bonded (green wire)... but now that I've cleaned it up a little, it's looking more and more like the tube and the flange are separate pieces... and if so, the tube isn't connected to that green wire... I think...

For RT ref cleaning: a search on "bronze cleaner" turned up those household cleaners, paste of flour/salt/vinegar, lemon juice, etc that you mentioned... but it also turned up Brasso (says also for bronze) and a 3M Metal Restorer and Polish (says also for bronze), along with some other commercial products.

Brasso ($5.59 at the local grocery) seems to be working OK, with the aid of a small brass wire brush and rags and so forth. I'm prepared to try the 3M product if necessary ($27.99 from Amazon, manana... or $44.xx from the local West Marine) but that may not be necessary.

In my case, cleaning is maybe turning into more of an access issue than a product issue. I can only reach that port side tube with a wire brush in one hand with arm extended... and there's an engine exhaust and a Racor in the way so I can't always see what I'd doing either... Half hour job on the bench, probably 3 hours job in the boat. Not uncommon.

-Chris