View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
syjos's Avatar
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 734
The framing was covered in visqueen to prevent anything from sticking to it.

Two layers of 3/4" mahogany was cut to match the curvature of the PB and laminated together on top of the framing to create a top frame all the way around the PB. The top frame was made of shorter pieces to fit the curvature and joints were staggered between the two layers to create a continuous frame. The top frame was temporary fastened to the existing framing and glued to the rear returns.

On this project I used WEST System epoxy, which I have been using since the 70's, with various fillers mixed in to produce various adhesives, putty and fairing compound. After this project, I switched to System Three Silvertip epoxy for its nonblushing feature and the ability to recoat without sanding within 24 hours, which is quite a time saver on large projects like this.

The top frame was beveled to match the angle of the PB.

Two layers of 1/4" mahogany marine plywood were trimmed and laminated to conform to the curves on the front of the PB and temporary fastened to the frames with deck screws and washers. An electric blanket was used to heat the plywood at the extreme curves to prevent cracking of the plywood. The area where the pass thru door is located was skinned with the two layers of ply across the opening to make it easier to apply the ply. The door will be cut out later.

The flat sides we're skinned with 1/2" mahogany marine ply and joined to the front skin and back corner returns with a rabbit joint. The skin was glued to the top cap and temporary fastened.

The plywood PB skin was bonded to the glass/plywood deck with a large reinforced filet and the sides were joined with staggered butt and rabbit joints. Once the adhesive cured, all fasteners were removed and the holes were filled.

After a full cure of the epoxy adhesive, the original PB framing was completely removed. With the combination of the two layer laminated plywood skin and the double top frame, the framing structure is no longer necessary to hold the PB's shape.

A bottom frame was cut out of mohagany to match the PB front curvature and glued to the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1558 (Medium).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	88578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1559 (Medium).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	88581   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1561 (Medium).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	88582  
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote