Twin engines, twin alternators, different tasks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sea Word

Vessel Name
SARAH TOO
Vessel Make
40’ beer can
I’m new to all this stuff. My new boat has twin diesels. It came with two dental alternator setups but only one is wired to anything, which is the starting bank. I’m wondering if anyone ever runs one engine charging system to charge the start bank and the other alternator to charge the house banks?

I’m looking for ways to avoid having an installed generator, and utilize what we have.

You can have one alt charge the house bank and the other charge the starting bank. But it's handy to be able to charge either bank with either alternator. That way if an alt fails, you still have charged batteries.

You can have one alt charge the house bank and the other charge the starting bank. But it's handy to be able to charge either bank with either alternator. That way if an alt fails, you still have charged batteries.

Problem being my house is 24v and engines 12v.

I think the ideal setup in your situation would be 24V alternators on both engines, both charging the house bank. That will give you the fastest recharge. Then use a 24 to 12V charger to maintain the charge on the start battery.

"Problem being my house is 24v and engines 12v."

That's unusual ,,most new engines have 24V to start and the low price of 12V items keeps it the choice for cabin gear.

Price a 12v bulb and a 24V and there may be a big difference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom