Any guesses what this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCT

Hoping this is simple. Found just after the Racors on fuel line in our Albin 25. Has red and black wires but unable to trace the red wire that goes into the pannel and into a wire raceway. No buttons or gauges with unknown functionality and the fuel shutoff is manual. Has a Westerbeke W33.

Attachments

• 20190512_162850.jpg
    20190512_162850.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 190
Not the fuel pump. I should have mentioned that. First thing I eliminated although for all I know it could be an off line pump no longer used, but why leave it there when the factory pump works fine.

Thought of a flow meter but no meter on dash. Also, the W33 has an electric self priming system so not sure how accurate a flow meter would be as fuel is constantly being pumped as long as ignition switch is on - even if engine not running.

Many boats have one to assist in bleeding the system after changing filter or simply assisting the mechanical pump on the motor.......:thumb:

That is how our marine trader 34 is set up but the Albins Westerbeke is electric and self priming.

Hoping this is simple. Found just after the Racors on fuel line in our Albin 25. Has red and black wires but unable to trace the red wire that goes into the pannel and into a wire raceway. No buttons or gauges with unknown functionality and the fuel shutoff is manual. Has a Westerbeke W33.

That is the exact fuel pump I had in my Jeep back in the early 90's. When I put in my second tank I used the pump to transfer fuel to the main tank under the driver's seat.

Greetings,
Mr. CC. Have you removed the unit to look on the backside of it? Might be a label or something there...Just a shot in the dark and not a big deal since it's only 2 screws.

Xwhatever on fuel pump. Often the engine mounted fuel pump is near worthless for repriming after opening up the fuel system. Small electric pump and a cracked bleed valve makes the process painless.

That is for sure a electric fuel pump. Have one on my generator and the diesel heater. Have you taken a hose loose and smelled to see if it's diesel fuel in it? Maybe it is pumping some other fluid? Could have been installed to bleed the main engine after a filter change? Do you have a diesel heater upstairs in the saloon? It would need a pump to get the fuel to it. Could be used to transfer fuel between tanks? (Usually a larger pump is used for that.

That pump comes in two versions. One has a 4-7 psi (approx.)operating pressure and one is 2-4 psi( approx.) It probably won't be marked on it. They will have a soft clicking noise when operating but will shut off when the pressure is reached in the system. Sometimes you need to feel them to see if they are operating.

It's a Facet fuel pump. Pretty common. It's probably used, as others mentioned, to bleed air after changing the filters or servicing the fuel system. Could also be used as a polishing pump.

No help identifying your fitting, but "greetings" from another Albin-25. You are the first other Albin-25 I've seen since we joined several years ago.

To Moby Nick: thanks. Although we haven't posted we've monitored the site for years. We still have our Marine Trader 34 but the Albin 25 is our first 'project' boat. We are hoping to move down in the next year or two.
May need some specific info on the Albin in the near future... hope you're still around.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info! I am convinced this is indeed is an electric in line fuel pump. From the descriptions and pictures that is the only thing that matches exactly. But it does not run... no clicking noise or vibrating when engine is turned on or running, so must have been for some other purpose, backup, temporary stand in while original pump being repaired, who knows. Not sure it would ever have been used for bleading lines as the engine comes with an electric in line pump so why add a second one?

I am probably going to test it and remove it if it doesn't work. If it does may leave it as back up.

To answer some other suggestions it is definately on the fuel pick up line from tank to filters to engine. That was easily traced. There are no other gauges, alarms or holes in dash that would suggest this was a working sensor, although because I thought it was not THE fuel pump I was thinking it might have been a sensor of some type.

Again, thanks!

Thanks for all the info! I am convinced this is indeed is an electric in line fuel pump. From the descriptions and pictures that is the only thing that matches exactly. But it does not run... no clicking noise or vibrating when engine is turned on or running, so must have been for some other purpose, backup, temporary stand in while original pump being repaired, who knows. Not sure it would ever have been used for bleading lines as the engine comes with an electric in line pump so why add a second one?

I am probably going to test it and remove it if it doesn't work. If it does may leave it as back up.

To answer some other suggestions it is definately on the fuel pick up line from tank to filters to engine. That was easily traced. There are no other gauges, alarms or holes in dash that would suggest this was a working sensor, although because I thought it was not THE fuel pump I was thinking it might have been a sensor of some type.

Again, thanks!
Maybe it was used to prime the filters instead of pre filling them with diesel. I've seen this on larger boats with the really big Racors.

Maybe it was used to prime the filters instead of pre filling them with diesel. I've seen this on larger boats with the really big Racors.

This! I have the same system for my Racors: just change the filter and push the button to fill the bowl.

Buy or borrow a 'fox and hound' to assist in tracing the wires.
Yea, I need one too.

No help identifying your fitting, but "greetings" from another Albin-25. You are the first other Albin-25 I've seen since we joined several years ago.

No help either from another Albin 25. We're small but mighty. ;)

Thanks for all the info! I am convinced this is indeed is an electric in line fuel pump. From the descriptions and pictures that is the only thing that matches exactly. But it does not run... no clicking noise or vibrating when engine is turned on or running, so must have been for some other purpose,

It isnt supposed to run unless you are bleeding the fuel system. Somewhere there is a switch to turn it on, probably a push button momentary contact. After opening the fuel system and you need to bleed the air, you push that button. It probably means there is a leak in the system somewhere that lets in air after a long sit. I put one in my Gulfstar because I couldnt go a week without bleeding it. Then I found the air leak and never used it again.

That looks exactly like the Facet fuel pump I had installed in my twin engine trawler BEFORE the Racors. It was lower that the tanks which were bottom feed, and it had a bypass line with a valve so that the pump was not normally in the line for fuel feed to the engines. That way I could always fill the Racors which were directly over the Facet. I also used it to bleed the twin Lehman 120s whenever that task needed to be done - just crack the 1/2 inch bleed bolt on the Simms injector pump, close the pump bypass valve and flip the 12 VDC power switch at the pump. I would not have this pump in the fuel line without a bypass so as to avoid possible clogging within the pump. So if you leave it there, install a valved bypass.

They manufacture them in Elmira NY. I worked there for a couple of years.

https://www.facet-purolator.com/

Is there a filter before it? They are very sensitive to contamination. Easily taken apart and cleaned.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom