Old 05-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
menzies
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Should be able to jump across the big leads of the solenoid to get a start. Never heard of "diodes" in a solenoid, but there are variations of the wiring in units that look identical.
The problem wasn't starting it - the problem was it cranked and started when we used the windlass! Then it kept cranking after the engine started if we kept using the windlass! I can tell you that is not the healthiest of sounds!

The meter indicated power coming from the ground when the windlass was used.

So yesterday to leave the anchorage I turned off the start batteries, lifted the anchor with no engines running, then when the anchor was up quickly switched the batteries back on and started the engines, and off we went. Not fun in a full anchorage!

Now this morning we followed the same process, lifted the anchor, I went to start the engines and the port would not crank at all! Got anchor back down.

Seems the new relay has totally failed. Which is actually good news. The windlass no longer cranks the engine and I started it by jumping across the cables.

So now we can get both engines started before I lift anchor. One on the key, one jumping!

This will get us home where I can talk to Lugger and get the right relay.

All fun and games!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote