Our new anchor came in today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
One more thing checked off the list for this spring.

Attachments

• 544F9D75-52D9-41F9-A2C7-465CE0CF67AB.jpg
    544F9D75-52D9-41F9-A2C7-465CE0CF67AB.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 161
Rocna Vulcan. 73lb. Old anchor and all the chain pulled off the boat last weekend. Chain has numerous rusty links past the 100ft mark. Very rusty and compromised links. Got a line on a replacement chain in Fort Walton beach and will plan to figure out how to go pick it up soon.

I have the pattern for one and am going to build an analog for it to see if it fits. Let us know when you try it and how it does.

What did you replace?

The old anchor is a basic plough style. Narrow and about 50lbs. It just would not hold in the muddy/sandy conditions here. A Danforth or fluke style works best here but that won’t fit in my bow sprit. After a whole boat ton of research, I decided to give the Rocna Vulcan a try. I will update once we get in in the water as to how it compares.

Lou, I am NOT falling for that trap. Lol. If it holds, then it’s the “best”. I will know more once I can actually test it.

....Chain has numerous rusty links past the 100ft mark. Very rusty and compromised links. Got a line on a replacement chain in Fort Walton beach and will plan to figure out how to go pick it up soon.
Can you have the chain delivered to the marina? For getting it to the boat, we found a 4 wheel trolley at the marina. Loading is easy, we used the windlass to pull it on. Don`t forget to secure the end of the chain, to mouse the shiny new anchor connections, etc....

It’s too small, the wrong kind and you don’t have enough chain. ��

CQR, CQR, CQR, CQR

All these new fangled contraptions, Sheesh!

Lou, I am NOT falling for that trap. Lol. If it holds, then it’s the “best”. I will know more once I can actually test it.

Stars Man,
Can you pull 5000lbs on your anchor rode?
If no then I’ll be interested in how it sets and under what conditions.
Good luck but I don’t think you’ll need much.

Now if you want a real anchor, you should get....... !!!!

We just bought a new chain rode, 300' of 5/16 G4 for just over 3.25 a foot. American made LaClede chain, picked up from Maggi chain in Dania Beach, Florida. Looks good, smooth and thick galvanizing. We will see how it lasts over time.
What drove the decision was my finding an 80 lb Manson Supreme on Craigslist for $500, so heavily used the stickers were still on it. Some folks who had just bought a 45ft Powercat thought that it was too big. Happy dance for me.
We are using a Mantus swivel, and backing the chain with 150 ft of New England 5/8 8 brait.
The old rode, 50 ft of 5/16 and 300 ft of 5/8 3 strand will becom our backup / second anchor rode.
This setup may not be the best choice I could have made, but I think that we will sleep well at anchor, and more than thst I can not ask.
JohnS, La Vita Dolce, Cheoy Lee 40 LRC

Stars Man,
Can you pull 5000lbs on your anchor rode?
If no then I’ll be interested in how it sets and under what conditions.
Good luck but I don’t think you’ll need much.

5000lbs?? I’m not sure what this question means? My anchor rode is 3/8” all chain. Windlass is Maxwell 1200.

StarsMan,
Yes.
That’s what it takes to pull out a set 35 to 40lb modern design anchor. So if you are going to find out it’s capabilities you’ll need a 5,000lb pull.
The better anchor testers use a scale that measures the pull on the rode in pounds.
You said “If it holds, then it’s the “best”. I will know more once I can actually test it.”
Have at it.
What ever you do it may be interesting. No anchor test that I’ve heard of has featured the Vulcan anchor.
When in prototype configuration we all had quite a few laughs talking about the new “toilet seat” anchor. Looks more like a “tractor seat” to me.
Also looks like a good anchor to me. But it’s not that much different than the Spade anchor except for the shank that is probably a bit over done.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Now I understand the question. And yes, I agree it does look like a tractor seat. Lol. I’m hoping all that surface area will yield some good suction to hold things. I am really not looking to anchor in any severe situations. We are mostly marina folks. But my current anchor does not hold at all in our local, very minimal current, fresh water river. My 14lb danforth stern anchor hold better than the plow previously on our boat. So once I get the new chain, and the boat back from the detailer, I’m going to hook up the new “tractor seat” and see how she does.

Last edited:
Oh, also, when I said “test” I wasn’t talking in any scientific terms. Basically, if I drop and set at Brady Island (a small spit of trees in a bend in the tchefuncte River here in Madisonville La popular as an anchor and hang out spot), and three days later my boat is in the same spot as when I dropped and set, that will be a success. Because my now old anchor could not do that.

I doubt we simple boat operators know if we are applying 5000lbs of load. But trial and error has its dangers. Make sure it sets, digs in, and and holds. Test the set with some gentle power, give it an overnight wind and or tide reversal. How well they hold or reset on reversing direction is important, some don`t. I`m sure it will be better than the old plow,but there will be as many opinions on procedure as there are anchors.

"Because my now old anchor could not do that."

A single anchor has a very hard time with all bottoms.

A bow roller set with space for a pair of anchors , one of each type , say a Danforth H series and a larger genuine CQR will usually hold in most situations .

Oh, also, when I said “test” I wasn’t talking in any scientific terms. Basically, if I drop and set at Brady Island (a small spit of trees in a bend in the tchefuncte River here in Madisonville La popular as an anchor and hang out spot), and three days later my boat is in the same spot as when I dropped and set, that will be a success. Because my now old anchor could not do that.

StarsMan,
Yes. And add in the worst wind or breeze you’ve experienced and the tides re scope and you’ve got a reasonable “test” at your local hangout.

Have you read Steve G’s “Anchor Setting Videos”? The Vulcan isn’t present there but you can get an idea about thrust in fwd and reverse. I’m lucky as I have the same power and close to the same gear ratio as Steve on his boat. By his experience 40hp = 900lbs of thrust in fwd gear and about 500 (or so) in reverse.
Please don’t damage you’re winch (or?) pulling on your anchor. Some TF people have reported backing down at full throttle but I wouldn’t recommend it for a number of reasons.
And I’m sure you’ll like the Vulcan, especially on reversals.

I'm cringing at the image of a 73lb anchor on what looks to be a beautiful hardwood floor.

Sunchaser,
Let my guess ....
you have/use a Vulcan ..... right?
Of course it’s best.

I'm cringing at the image of a 73lb anchor on what looks to be a beautiful hardwood floor.

He assured me he set it down very carefully. Lol

This is the old anchor.

Attachments

• AA858E08-2E3A-4475-A1CD-8548D509691E.jpg
    AA858E08-2E3A-4475-A1CD-8548D509691E.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 69
Dropping anchor in the Riggolets just south of highway 90 on a strong falling tide with a west wind would be a good test.

This is the old anchor.

That’s rather interesting.
It’s CQR heritage is obvious. But the shank is just what I was thinking about for a modified CQR in my habitual day dreaming. I wasn’t thinking of modifying the fluke though.

But the fluke shown here looks good to me. It’s definitely in the high aspect ratio camp. Definitely not a CQR fluke. Long and narrow like an Excel and the Excel works very well indeed. But this one lacks the Rex Francis turned down toe and elephant ears aft.

Do you know what this anchor is .. brand wise?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom