Old 02-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #43
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
RE: Winter Project I: Charging System Upgrade

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:psneeld wrote:*Tinned wire isn't a sham..it's useful for many of us that don't run and connect wire to perfection...it does outlast untinned wire to a much greater degree if moisture finds it's way into the wire....maybe outlast is incorrect*so outperform fits better.
Fair enough, but if we could PLEASE not dilute this thread with a discussion about tinned vs. non-tinned. There is another thread for that. This is a thread specifically for people to reference should they desire to try the same sort of project and for me to ask questions and get a reasonable discussion about it. I ma THE perpetual apprentice.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Tuesday 21st of February 2012 10:23:14 PM

*Then don't dilute it with "personal" opinions about one of the main items of a charging system upgrade.

I never commented before about tinned versus not as they perform exactly the same in laboratory situations...and as Rick B said...if done correctly...there should be no difference.

Most boats and owners never come CLOSE to installing or keeping their system to laboratory conditions..."sham" I think not and you do a disservice to others attempting your upgrades into thinking any other way.

As far as sizing....ampacity is important but so are other factors...the most important is the required amps to spin your starter under the harshest conditions you expect to see.* That seems to be a glossed over requirement and just guessing then going up a size is a sure fire way to ruin an expensive starter..the same goes for max alternator output and where the end of the alt output wire is going as there are many options there.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote