A/C Finally Fixed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
When we purchased Magic 7-years ago the forward air conditioner raw water output appeared slower than the other two units (separate outputs, one raw water pump). The surveyor did not call this to our attention and it wasn't noticed for awhile. I thought it was normal for the most distant from the pump of 3 overboard discharges to run slower than the other two. Over time it got slower and slower.

An A/C repair company was called in to fix the issue as the output became just a dribble of water and we needed to shut down the forward (master stateroom) A/C.

The first repair attempt was to blow out the hose to the unit with compressed nitrogen. This fixed the problem---temporarily. Within about a week the problem reappeared.

The next attempt was to circulate Barnacle Buster through the system. Again, it worked---temporarily.

Next we replaced all the raw water A/C hoses from the sea strainer to all the units. Hooray, that worked---temporarily.

I theorized that the seawater pump which was 23 years old should be replaced. The line was blown out again and the pump replaced with an Oberdorfer 1/3 hp pump. Well, guess what, that worked--temporarily.

Spoiler Alert; If you want to try to figure out the ultimate solution on your own, read no further. If you want the answer just scroll down a bit.

With the A/C company blowing out the lines yet again, I decided to crawl under the cabinet in the forward head to work the ball valve for the discharge line back and forth a few times in case there were barnacles or other debris caught in it. I rotated the handle a few times but felt no resistance. We removed the ball valve and discovered that the handle had broken free of the ball in the valve leaving the valve only about 1/3 opened. And, the opening was clogged with debris that couldn't fit thru the restricted opening. This explained everything. The valve was replaced and for the first time we have full water flow. I also have all new hoses, a new pump and a bunch of receipts. And so it goes! :nonono:

Greetings,
Mr. hm. Cool!

100.webp

Thanks RT. Finally some cool without a price tag.

Similar story in 2016. Forward sump was not discharging. Could blow a water hose through the hoses fine. But pump would blow circuit breaker. Crawled into 18" square floor access and made like a pretzel for an hour replacing Gulper pump. Test with float and presto, discharge. OK Dear, I'm going to take a shower. When done with shower, water again in bilge and blown circuit breaker. Any guesses? OK scroll down...

Traced discharge line finding it pinched by factory in 2006!. Could not even get it out from pinch point. Cut it on both sides of crimp point and routed a bypass hose connecting the ends of the original. Problem solved. Well at least a new pump is installed now!

This is why I wont go to a water cooled system. I hate the noise of my rooftop a/c but it blows very cold and does an amazing job over the years.

When I decide to "fix" it i'm going to install a Mini split Inverter system.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom