Bronze Grounding Plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psneeld

Guru
Vessel Name
Sold
Vessel Make
Was an Albin/PSN 40
Any reason to heep it now that LORAN is gone?* I can run more/larger bonding wire to the 2 bolt on transom zincs...that seems to be enough for many boats...just figuring out the advantage of keeping the grounding plate and 2 more holes in the bottom fr4om it.

If you ever wish to communicate from offshore a SSB , or ham radio is far cheaper than Sat gear and time.

The added ground area might help in a lightning strike or side strike .

If you ever wish to communicate from offshore a SSB , or ham radio....
With today's automatic tuners and a proper installation, ground plates are no longer required.* We use our SSB/ham radio daily with no ground plate and boom out there.* If we had one we*would use it sure but they aren't required.

true...but don't plan on either comms system...

I*would think the bouble zincs, rudder and prop* shaft would be enough for a ligtning strike bases on 8 ga bonding wiring...actually I doubt the bonding system even WITH the bronze gtounding plate could handle even a lightning spike.

Just can''t think of a good reason to keep it...most boats don't have them now that LORAN is gone.

"most boats don't have them now that LORAN is gone."

Not gone everywhere and after GPS is taken out with a single pulse it will be far faster to restore Loran than launch dozens of satellites.

North Korea HAS THE CAPACITY TO DO THIS TODAY,

Iran is working hard to be able to do it.

WE still keep the loran and antenna , tho a really deep depth sounder with a recording chart will do fine for contour navigation.

Carry Bowditch,

LORAN's gone everywhere I'm gonna boat.
biggrin.gif

The bad guys can't take the system out.... maybe jam it until we blow them off the face of the map as they would be interupting the entire world's safe commerce....or a more resonable approach would be to negate their jamming capability either electronically or precision "vaporizing".* I would love a backup to GPS but I doubt you'll ever see LORAN again.

If LORAN did come back...it would probably be LORANe at which point I would want a new receiver anyway.

OK with the nav/comms stuff...ANY OTHER reason to keep a bronze ground plate???

I saw a bid on FedBizOps the other day to empty, clean and remove fuel tanks at loran stations. I think that pretty much sums it up. I still have mine mounted, but maybe it's time to free up the space for something else.
disbelief.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom