Best adapted pet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Ladies & Gents

What would be the most recommended dog race to have in the boat?

Fox? Labrador? Cocker? which?

The idea is to have a noise protector, that keeps the fur from falling too much and that enjoys water.

The Admiral and I, thank you greatly for your input

Portuguese

Portuguese wrote:Ladies & Gents
What would be the most recommended dog race to have in the boat?

Fox? Labrador? Cocker? which?

The idea is to have a noise protector, that keeps the fur from falling too much and that enjoys water.

The Admiral and I, thank you greatly for your input

Portuguese
What else but a Portuguese Water Dog a.k.a PWD.* A dog weighs about the mid 50 -55*lb and a bitch about 48-51lbs.* The do not shed but they do lose some hair just like humans, they are great swimmers and can be guard dogs.* For more information and the history*of the breed please go to http://www.pwdca.org/

I do*have one, but*do not have nor have*ever had any connections with selling this breed of dog.**Will I discuss the merits of*this breed as opposed to other breeds?* Yes.* Can I put you in touch with responsible breeders of this and other breeds?* Also yes.

Old Stone wrote:
Have to agree with Superdiver - find one that does not shed, especially if you have neighbors close.
*Gents,

*I have nothing against "mutts".* My question to both of you is how does one find a Mutt that does not shed?

There are several breeds that do not but how do we know if our mutt has that particular coat*gene from anyone of those breeds.

First ask the Marina if they allow dogs, and what the requirements are for*a dogs.* If the dog*barks a lot, the chances are you are going to get a complaint, and the marina will require you to fix the dog or vacate the marina.**Also a known*agressive/guard breed might cause some concerns/problems.********
We have had* 3 female Labradors with a mix of something. **Labradors are reasonable smart, good natured, good with kids, short hair, and like the water.* The Labradors we have had are most Lab with something mixed in, cocker/golden.* What ever dog I would get a female as they are usually more even tempered/mannered and better for confined areas as dogs are expect to stay on YOUR boat.
Shelly, our last Lab*passed a way*about 3 years ago, but being a live aboard I would not have another*dog as boats, marinas, slips, docks are not set up for pets.*
hmm.gif

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 12:47:10 PM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 12:54:57 PM

A Dachsund is a good dog for a boat, short haired, short legs so unlikely to go overboard, small and light so easy to handle in and out of dinghy or on the dock, and they make lost of noise when a stranger comes around.
Steve W

How about this Dachshund named "Dick":

Oh Oh! Should I anticpate a visit from the PC police?

-- Edited by dwhatty on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 04:40:27 PM

dwhatty wrote:
*ROTFLMAO!* Now, that's funny!! Was the pic photoshopped or was the dog born with those markings. LMAO!

David:

Wouldn't be my wife's first pick for a boat dog, but she did LHAO on seeing the pix.

The owner complains he can't take him out for a walk, the girls were petting him so much they were rubbing the hair off of his back.
Steve W

Now that I have finally stopped laughing about "Dick the Daschund".... I can tell you about the lovely critters we have had...and still have one of.

We had two "Toy Fox Terriers"..... one male, one female, the male was a year older....he passed at the age of 17, and we still have the female. As far as boat dogs, they were both great! Actually very little shedding, both dogs have had nice dispositions, and generally quiet. But they are great watch dogs!! They are rather territorial and will tell you when someone is around... They aren't real excitable...not like their cousins the "Jack Russells", in fact they are the opposite....they sleep a lot, eat, take care of business...but the really great thing about them is that they will not mess where they live!!

We tried to train our dogs to use a pad on the deck..... It was easier to just head for land and walk them.... But we finally got them to use a pad on the deck....

They are also friendly and loyal dogs....but if you let them sleep on your bed....its not easy getting them not to.

The Portuguese Water Dog has the added advantage of being able to bark in either feet or fathoms. When the breed was bred, they were taught to swim in front of the vessel to warn of shallow water by barking the depth. To change the dog's setting you orient the dog so that he is facing away from you, reach down to the backside and twist whatever is hanging down.

We have a Maltese who was bred to yap at any threat of intrusion by people, sailboats, birds, flies or Marin.

-- Edited by Doc on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 09:16:47 PM

Doc wrote:
The Portuguese Water Dog has the added advantage of being able to bark in either feet or fathoms. When the breed was bred, they were taught to swim in front of the vessel to warn of shallow water by barking the depth. To change the dog's setting you orient the dog so that he is facing away from you, reach down to the backside and twist whatever is hanging down.

We have a Maltese who was bred to yap at any threat of intrusion by people, sailboats, birds, flies or Marin.

-- Edited by Doc on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 09:16:47 PM
*Doc, that is soooo funny!
teevee.gif

We have had a Lab on the boat for several years and while I love the breed and they are very adaptable to a boat they are awful when it comes to shedding. My wife says they should be bald by the age of 2. They can be hard on a wood floor with their toe nails too. Our Lab passed on a few years ago, she would lay on the walkway beside the lower helm with her head hung over the water. The dog in the avatar belongs to #2 daughter who travels a lot so we get to keep our "grand dog"; he is obviously quite at home on the boat. But then he is a Lab and he is confident everyone loves him!

dwhatty wrote:

Oh Oh! Should I anticpate a visit from the PC police?

-- Edited by dwhatty on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 04:40:27 PM
*Oh, you're killing me here, David!* LMAO!!

Standard poodle.* Smart, friendly, non-shedding, agile to get on and off boat, water dog.* Awesome buddy.

glennwhiskey wrote:Standard poodle.* Smart, friendly, non-shedding, agile to get on and off boat, water dog.* Awesome buddy.
*I agree.* A large*Minni at just over 15"*might work as well.*Toys not so much. *But certainly a Std would work.

There are several Terriers that don't shed. * Most of the wire coats don't.

Keep in mind that short hair dogs shed short prickly hairs.

Merlin is 1/2 Golden Retriever and 1/2 Poodle - called a Goldendoodle.
img_75685_0_175b5473599c63c6c94edcbca7e2c5b6.jpg

He doesn't shed. The breeder had 3 sizes -- 25, 50 and 90 pounds.* Merlin is the 50 pound version. On our last trip out, he learned to swim ashore to go potty, then came back up on the boat by himself. He even has webbed feet.
img_75685_1_59b1be5c20f4e57c9741638c07363748.jpg

He doesn't take up much space aboard.
img_75685_2_d38e8db2c7d0257528df93541013c339.jpg

And he's always delightful to have around.
img_75685_3_2b506454b0d28397532724dae16f1905.jpg

He's also a working dog, visiting hospitals, churches, schools and assisted living facilities, bringing joy to all he sees.

img_75685_4_f7747a56f440f6a5e9f4e6baadfd31e9.jpg

Where was the picture of the dog swimming taken, beautiful water and a beautiful dog too!
Steve W

Nice Blog report! The St Johns is on my must do list.
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Friday 17th of February 2012 03:06:40 PM

Our 10 year old Pomeranian, "Barnabus" has been a great dog on the boat since he was a pup. We keep him with a "Lion cut" so shedding has never been an issue. He needs a good walk every 12 hours so that works well for us. His dock manners are tolerable when someone walks by. He has always been calm and in his his element when cruising. He is a bit heavy for a Pom.
"Bristol" is our 3 year old schnauzer. He is "boat broken" also, but doesn't have the ability to hold it for as long as his brother. He does great at the dock, but is always a bit nervous when underway.
"Israel" is still young and fearless and does not seem to be bothered at all by the boat noises while we are cruising.
img_75893_0_2ff89631fe52073b2a3704631ac5c9f1.jpg

-- Edited by Forkliftt on Saturday 18th of February 2012 10:21:05 AM

Is dog hair somehow poisonous now? Sheesh y'all, bunch-o-wimps that can't deal with a little (or a lot) of hair in every corner of your world. I'll never understand the obsession of people that want dogs, but are scared of loose dog hair. ;-)

In our case the non-shedding was a necessity. We didn't have a dog for our first 40 years of marriage because my wife is extremely allergic to animals. However, there is a down side - Merlin sees the groomer every 6 weeks or so at the rate of $60/clip.

Love that Senator - used to have one...shown here at Bath.

img_76275_0_cf9d38e963d6f7c1525868a9c1293e81.jpg

Don't want dog hair? Get a Maltese. Other problems tho...

Attachments

• image00112.jpg
    image00112.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 100
Doc wrote:
Don't want dog hair? Get a Maltese. Other problems tho...
*Cigar butts and ashes?

Luna is a live-aboard shih-tzu/poodle. No shedding (the Admiral and I both have allergies), goes on a potty pad (handy when anchored out), only weighs 10 pounds (easy on/off to the dock or dinghy) and shih-tzu's are not "water dogs" (I don't have to worry about her wanting to jump into the water.

Luna's a great traveler. Before becoming full time cruisers, she made 2 trips from Chicago to Oregon on my Honda Goldwing motorcycle and we did an Iron Butt Run (1100 miles in 21 hours).

Mostly, she hates to be left behind. . .

Jeff Wolf

Vagabond - Pilgrim 40 Trawler

Anchored in Tarpon Basin off Key Largo

Attachments

• luna - bike.jpg
    luna - bike.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 441
  • linda & luna.jpg
    linda & luna.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 108
May be the best pet it's a pet who can help on board (first example)
than a pet pet doing nothing all day long (second)

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 106
  • imm007_6.jpg
    imm007_6.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 108
Dory and I.

Attachments

• anode and dory.jpg
    anode and dory.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 113