View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #8
jungpeter
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
Hi CDreamer,

Good question regarding the Big Chute railway lift. From observation, it appears the lift has multiple slings, which is a good thing, IF your boat fits what appear to be fixed-spacing slings. However, as others have noted before me, hoisting a wooden hull is problematic in a boatyard, and perhaps VERY problematic in something like the Big Chute.

Most boatyards that deal with wooden hulls have travelifts with multiple, variable-span slings. These are spaced along the hull to minimize hogging or sagging, and minimize stress concentrations from the slings. Inadequate numbers of, or improper spacing of hoisting slings can lead to cracked frames, sprung planks, and other uglies. The yards that haul wooden boats with travelifts are VERY mindful of these issues.

Yards that use railways (fewer and fewer these days) have less issues, as the hull is evenly supported along the keel upon haulout. Ditto with tidal grids.

I'd be surprised if the Big Chute operators are equally knowledgeable, mindful, and careful.

Having said that, it's obvious that the Big Chute has been in operation for many years, and equally obviously has hauled many, many wooden boats of various persuasions. My guess is you pays your money, and you takes your chances.

And regarding wooden construction in general, there are no free lunches. The cheapest boat you can buy will likely be the most expensive boat you can own. Cash and Dr. Death for a surveyor be damned.

Regards,

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote