View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
Mako
Guru

City: Seattle
My Jimmies never had problems starting when we lived in Seattle, although I don't remember the winter being too terribly cold. But the next boat will be 4-stroke, which generally don't start up instantaneously like those magical GMs. Since we're planning some occasional high latitude cruising, I'm researching the block heaters.

Q1) So the electric block heaters, how are they installed for a large diesel? Is it glued to the exterior of the block (like a car engine), or inserted in the coolant loop when needed? The ones I see online are $50 or less. Seems too cheap for a boat

Q2) For a hydronic system, with engine-fed closed loop to the hot water tank, do you install a small circulation pump in the loop to back-feed from the hot water tank returning to the engine?

Q3) Regarding to the Chinese shipyard (a commercial yard), I absolutely agree with your comment. I'm learning to let them just do what they do best - which gives me the best value for the money. Try to avoid asking for too much customization. They are not in that business and don't want super-custom projects.

I may be over-thinking this whole thing. The simplest solution might just be a portable engine block heater - install when needed - and a couple of Dickinson bulkhead heaters for cabin heat.
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote