Nordic 26 tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annie

While I have sailed to the Bahamas many times on my 35 foot sailboat, I have never gone by power boat. Would a Nordic 26 tug with a maximum speed of 6 knots be suitable for a winter crossing to the Abacos? Or is it too chancey in the Nov. to Jan. time frame? Greatly appreciate any replies. Frank

Yes, the boat will handle more than you want to deal with yourself. So pick the right weather window and go.

David

The Nordic Tug 26 only goes 6 knots??

The newer Nordic Tug 26 has a cruising speed of 8 knots with a top end of 14 knots.

The Nordic Tug 26 only goes 6 knots??
Depends on the power. Early NTs had ~40hp BMWs and Perkins. Slow, but fuel efficient.
The early marketing claim was Seattle to Alaska without refueling.

Many have been repowered with 75-100 hp since. They even experimented with a 200hp Yanmar from the factory.

Weight makes a big difference too.

In my opinion, they look pretty ungainly over 10 knots. Could easily surf the stern wave.

Last edited:
Spy,
I could do that but would probably not be able to anchor or otherwise stop at night. But that’s at normal cruising speed. Knock it down to 5.5 knots and could probably stop every night.

Don’t know about the NT26 doing it. How much fuel do they carry?

Spy wrote;
“In my opinion, they look pretty ungainly over 10 knots. Could easily surf the stern wave.”
Wouldn’t one need to be going slow enough to catch it or one would be climbing the fwd wave. ??

Last edited:
Spy,
I could do that but would probably not be able to anchor or otherwise stop at night. But that’s at normal cruising speed. Knock it down to 5.5 knots and could probably stop every night.

Don’t know about the NT26 doing it. How much fuel do they carry?

Spy wrote;
“In my opinion, they look pretty ungainly over 10 knots. Could easily surf the stern wave.”
Wouldn’t one need to be going slow enough to catch it or one would be climbing the fwd wave. ??
Surf, as with a surfboard. :). (People do that these days behind wake boats.)

The boat show marketing was for a 36hp Volvo going 600 miles from Seattle to Ketchikan on 50 gallons of fuel, at 6.5 knots.

Don't think they actually sold many with the Volvo. My boat originally had specified a BMW D50, a popular engine for the early boats.

Early 26s were a fairly custom boat. Nordic Tugs seemed to accommodate a lot of customer requests. Some boats had tanks on either side of the engine room, some were in the lazarette. Spy has two 35ish USG tanks in the lazarette.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom