I think the Russians have my boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greysailor

Vessel Name
Salty
Vessel Make
2005 Defever 44
Glanced at Vessel Finder and see where Salty's AIS signature has been 10 miles from the marina, out in the Gulf, and is currently on land! ? I guess the Russian/Chinese military must be hacking our GPS signals!
Screenshot_20190503-200913_VesselFinder%20Free.jpeg

I once tried using a "find my phone" app as a low budget method of monitoring the boat's position while I left it anchored and took the dinghy into town. I was going to leave my phone on board and check with my wife's phone. The app was just not accurate enough and it appeared that the boat had drifted on to shore before we even departed the boat. It would have scared the hell out of me if I had waited until getting ashore to try it out.

I once tried using a "find my phone" app as a low budget method of monitoring the boat's position while I left it anchored and took the dinghy into town. I was going to leave my phone on board and check with my wife's phone. The app was just not accurate enough and it appeared that the boat had drifted on to shore before we even departed the boat. It would have scared the hell out of me if I had waited until getting ashore to try it out.
Yep....gotta take electronic info on a "trust but verify" basis for sure! In the past I've noticed my AIS position disappearing for days at a time on VF....but this is the first time I've noticed the track showed a phantom 10 mile trip at 2knots speed!
I'm thinking it may have something to do with the local land based receiver station going off and on line.

Greetings,
Mr. g. Oh. A phantom 10 mile trip AND at 2 knots? Must be geriatric joy riders...

200w.webp
Ha! Yes RTF, I assumed it had to be a FOG(Freaking Old Guy) like me, and when he got out in the Gulf, he remembered that he left his medicine in the truck and had to return to marina!?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom