Warning for Nobeltec users.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith

Guru
Vessel Name
Anastasia III
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Boy, you'd think a company this big would do better QC. Of course, Nobeltec was started by some ex-Micro$not guys. There is a lot of formatting in the original message, so apogies if it comes out squirrely.
Tel.: 503.579.1414
</address>December 26, 2007
ATTN: Jeppesen Marine Product Customers
RE: LIGHT MARINE DIVISION -- JEPPESEN MARINE CUSTOMER BULLETIN

Arising from increased quality assurance programs, Jeppesen Marine has identified chart data rendering issues related to defects in both the code base of our navigation software and the encoding of our chart data.
As a result of these defects, some chart information (including, but not limited to buoys, markers, contours, underwater obstructions, etc.) may not display correctly, or at all, on navigation screens.
Although these defects date back some years and no cases or related incidents have ever been reported by customers, we believe they could represent a potential hazard if navigators are misusing affected products by relying solely on them for primary navigation, instead of placing primary reliance on up-to-date official government charts. As a result, Jeppesen Marine is compelled to advise you of this issue, especially as it affects products using our technology and digital charts.
Regarding resolution of this issue, Jeppesen Marine is dedicated to provide patches to the affected navigation software, as well as corrected, up-to-date versions of our Passport chart products. These will be supplied to all affected customers free-of-charge. Both the software and data patches are now ready for distribution.
Shepard Tucker
Sr. Manager, Sales & Marketing
Jeppesen Light Marine North AmericaAffected Products

Certain Nobeltec Passport chart features (including but not limited to buoys, markers, contours, underwater obstructions, etc.) may not display correctly, or at all, when used in conjunction with certain Nobeltec navigation software packages and OEM plotter solutions.

The following Nobeltec navigation software and OEM solutions are affected by this defect, when used in conjunction with listed Passport chart versions:
<table border="1" width="528" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#3366ff" width="126" nowrap="nowrap">Mfg / Brand
</td><td bgcolor="#3366ff" width="90">Model
</td><td bgcolor="#3366ff" width="86" nowrap="nowrap">Version
</td><td bgcolor="#3366ff" nowrap="nowrap">Passport Chart Versions
</td></tr><tr><td width="126" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">Nobeltec
</td><td width="90" valign="top">VNS
</td><td width="86" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">7.x
</td><td rowspan="7" width="226" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">Versions 30, 31, 32, and 34
</td><td width="90" valign="top">Admiral
</td><td width="86" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">7.x
</td><td width="86" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">8.x
</td><td width="86" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">8.x
</td><td width="86" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">9.x
</td><td width="86" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">9.x
</td></tr><tr><td width="126" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">OEM - Northstar
</td><td width="90" valign="top">972
</td><td width="86" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">All versions
</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="7" bgcolor="#3366ff" width="686" valign="top">Affected Chart Regions
</td></tr><tr><td width="98" valign="top">AU0020L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">AU0021S
</td><td width="98" valign="top">AU0022S
</td><td width="98" valign="top">AU0030L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">AU0031S
</td><td width="98" valign="top">AU0032S
</td><td width="98" valign="top">AU0090L
</td></tr><tr><td width="98" valign="top">AU0091S
</td><td width="98" valign="top">BS0010L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">CA0150L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">CAR0010L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">CAR0100L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">CO0010L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">CO0011S
</td></tr><tr><td width="98" valign="top">CU0010L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">CU0012S
</td><td width="98" valign="top">CU0020L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">DO0011S
</td><td width="98" valign="top">GR0010L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">GR0011S
</td><td width="98" valign="top">GR0021S
</td></tr><tr><td width="98" valign="top">GR0030L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">MX0030L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">PA0010L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">PA0011S
</td><td width="98" valign="top">PA0020L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">SAM0020L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">US0050
</td></tr><tr><td width="98" valign="top">US0080L
</td><td width="98" valign="top">ZR00
</td><td width="98" valign="top">ZR03
</td><td width="98" valign="top">ZR06
</td><td width="98" valign="top">ZR07
</td><td width="98" valign="top">ZR08
</td><td width="98" valign="top">ZR101
</td></tr><tr><td width="98" valign="top">ZR901
</td><td width="98" valign="top">ZR902
</td><td width="98" valign="top">ZR903
</td><td width="98" valign="top">ZR904
</td><td width="98" valign="top">ZR905
</td><td width="98" valign="top">ZR912
</td><td width="98" valign="top">ZR914
</td></tr></tbody></table>Description of Defect and Hazard Represented

When affected navigation software and OEM solutions products are used in conjunction with affected Passport charting products certain chart features may not always and/or may not correctly display on the navigation system screen.

Missing and/or incorrectly displayed information may represent a hazard IF navigators are misusing affected products by relying solely on them for primary navigation, instead of placing primary reliance on up-to-date official government charts.
Correction of Defect

Available now online, Jeppesen Marine will supply free-of-charge:

·******** Corrected and updated versions of affected charting products to current users of the affected Passport Chart Versions (Current users include holders of the following Passport charting product versions: Version 30, 31, 32 and 34.)

·******** Downloadable software patches for all affected versions of Nobeltec navigation software and OEM solutions will be provided to all users of those software products.
These patches contain:
1. Corrections to some of the color contrasts within the night mode to allow for better visibility of the chart objects.
2. Critical fixes to the Admiral and VNS Product baseline to fix chart rendering issues associated with safety of navigation. Certain Nobeltec Passport chart features (including, but not limited to, markers, contours, underwater obstructions, etc.) were not being displayed correctly, or at all, when used in conjunction with certain chart sets. This patch fixes these software issues and the newest charts (WF-37) will fix the associated data issues.
Please visit http://www.nobeltec.com/support/ for information on qualifying for a free region update.
3. Removal of the S-57 import functionality. With the application of the SW patch, S-57 importation will be disabled in Admiral and VNS products and S57 charts previously imported will be deleted, or rendered unavailable for display.
Jeppesen Marine has selected to disable S-57 importing and display in Admiral and VNS for safety related reasons. Unforeseeable inconsistencies in open S-57 data, regardless of its source, and over which Jeppesen Marine has no control, could be the source of additional rendering issues, which in turn could determine unacceptable safety hazard.
Jeppesen Marine offers a wide range of high quality vector chart products, and is available to assist all customers in procuring those most suited to their navigation needs.

·******** Software patches for affected versions of OEM navigation software, will be provided to all users of those software products, in collaboration with OEMs themselves.

<u>To obtain your product corrections</u>:* If you believe that you have an affected product, go to www.nobeltec.com/support/bulletin.htm. Here you can download the patch of the affected product and register to be notified as soon as updated Passport World Folio (WF37) data are available. All additional information is provided on the www.nobeltec.com/support website.
Additional Warning

Jeppesen Marine reminds navigators that nautical chart information including information that may be critical to safety is constantly changing.

Once changes have been detected and verified, National Hydrographic Authorities periodically publish updated information. As it is received, Jeppesen Marine incorporates the updated information into new charting products and/or updated versions of existing products. These are periodically made available to navigators.

Therefore, navigators should check how up-to-date their charting products are. If your charts are obsolete (I.e., you are not running on the current version of the charts and/or your charts are more than one year old), Jeppesen Marine strongly urges you to update them via Jeppesen Marine directly, or authorized resellers.

Please also remember that electronic charts are an aid to navigation designed to facilitate the use of authorized government charts, not to replace them. Only official government charts and Notices to Mariners contain all the information needed for safe navigation.
Contacts

To download patches and register for charts, go to: www.nobeltec.com/support/bulletin.htm

<u>For support / services related to affected products:</u>

<u>Jeppesen Marine worldwide customer support</u>
1-800-732-2800 Toll free in the U.S.
1-303-328-6983 Direct

+49 6102 50 8171 in Europe

</td></tr></tbody></table>

This is one reason why I'm a big believer in dedicated plotter systems that run on a "computer" that only has one function--- to be a plotter. Furuno, Raymarine, etc. When you take one complex software application-- the chartplotter-- and depend on another even more complex software application to run it--- Windows, etc.--- there are just too many variables to my way of thinking to want to depend on it to keep our boat from running into something that isn't water.

Not that Furuno, Raymarine, C-Map, etc. are perfect, but I've never had to re-boot a dedicated plotter because some squirrely signal from a mouse, an incompatibility with a third-party tide program, or a corrupted word processor file locked up the system. Nor have I experienced chart features being displayed one moment and not the next. Throw in the current situation at Jeppesen and it's not too surprising the problem outlined above has occurred.

The sentence I love the most is this one:

"Missing and/or incorrectly displayed information may represent a hazard IF navigators are misusing affected products by relying solely on them for primary navigation, instead of placing primary reliance on up-to-date official government charts."

In other words, even though we, the manufacturer, have screwed up big-time due to our total corporate ineptness, it's your fault.

That's Jeppesen for you.......

Jeppesen's partial "solution" for an extremely slight chance of complicity in an accident, is to elimintate use of highly accurate S57 digital charts produced by NOAA. Available for free.

The fact is, that they make a great deal of their revenue from their own passport charts. This is more corporate strategy from a for-profit company, than fixing a problem that might only pose a very, very slight risk.

Their business tactics aside, I'm just PO'd that I have to d/l the updates on my laptop, move them to CD and then u/l to my nav PC, which isn't internet connected. It's a PITA!

As far as the potential issues depicted by Jeppesen's update, in the 2 years I've used the Nobeltec SW, I've never had an issue in terms of accuracy... ever. Everything has been just where it was depicted on the electronic chart, and matched up perfectly to my hardcopy charts.

Chuck---

On theory of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," if your current Nobletc system has not experienced any of the problems Jeppesen talks about and you are going to continue to boat in the area you've been boating in, do you think you need to download their "fixes" at all?

*Marin,

You're 100% correct.* I've not yet taken the time to go through the steps on the web site to see if it even applies to me right now.* Mine was just a knee-jerk reaction to the possibility of having to go thru that BS.* As I said, every place we've gone thus far, everything on the charts was right where it was supposed to be, and nothing (we could see) that should have been charted wasn't.

Happy New Year all!

Chuck, If you are constantly evaluating the information provided by electronic charts, and assessing its accuracy using visual or other electronic means, you are not "misusing affected products by relying solely on them for primary navigation."

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I'm not worried.

Truth be told, I use the Nobeltec product to create nav waypoints and headings for the AP. I don't program the AP with them, preferring to change course manually when the wp is reached. Our course/position is verified once every 30 minutes or so, and plotted on the paper charts (which have been covered with plastic). This keeps the watch on their toes.

I do like the Nobeltec for a quick "where the hell are we?" sanity check... especially at night.

-- Edited by KMA at 16:41, 2007-12-31

Chuck, WOW-You've got a great safe navigation system going. I would guess you are doing more than 98% of the rest of us boaters.

As you say, it's nice to maintain situational awareness using electronic charts.

Jay,

First... Happy New Year. Now, on to biz:

We live in southern California, and the San Pedro Channel (actually, the area from Point Conception down well into Mexico) is quite heavily traveled by both commercial and recreational traffic. On a warm summer weekend day, 1 boat/sq. mile of water might be an accurate guess... though it is just a guess... and there are sail boats everywhere!

If one doesn't avoid the commercial shipping lanes, it would be easy to get run over by a container ship clipping long at 20+ kts. if not paying attention. So, close scrutiny is paid to both our position on the charts and other traffic on the radar. On a nice day, we rotate watches often so everybody gets to enjoy the weather and view.

A cruise into Ensenada takes around 16 hours at 10 kts. Since we prefer to arrive early in the day, we depart LA around dusk and cruise all night. It's the night time cruising (from about midnight on) close to or in foreign (Mexican) waters that drove us to be so vigilent in our navigation ritual.

This is all excellent practice for the planned (operative word) world cruise that we hope is in our future... before we get to old to do it.

-- Edited by KMA at 10:56, 2008-01-01

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom