prop size and shaft, rudder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olesouth

Veteran Member
I am looking at buying a GB 50 built in 1971 and the shaft,stuts, prop's and rudder are gone stolen while at the yard does anybody know what they had on them I need sizes and pitch, it has Cat 3160 210 hp at 1800rpm does anybody know what the trans ratio is also.

Shannon

This section is for website and computer technical help. Try one of the other sections, such as Power Systems or General Maintenance. There is also a Grand Banks section lower on the home page. *Welcome*
smile.gif

try Boatdiesel.com They have a calculator for prop size and pitch, and they will know what your engine and trans need.

The shaft stuffing box or rudder stuffing box might still be in place, as they take longer to remove with a sawsall.

Measure them?

Check the gearbox for the ID tag.
The ratio should be on that.
Boat diesel will give you all the reccomended shaft sizes and you can work out the prop size there as well.
That is once you pay up.
The GB owners forum would also be a great help in your quest for info.

Olesouth -- I trust you are a good carpenter, electrician and plumber? A 40 year old GB will require a lot of time, skills and $$ to bring it back to life. This is a great time to buy running vessels in good condition, have you considered alternatives to the GB? I sold a 1971 woodie 25 years ago because the go forward costs would be quite steep. I shudder to think what that vessel would require today.

thank you guys I tried the GB web page first but not much help there not to many readers.
and Yes they stool the log's, and struts stuffings, so from the back of the trains its all gone,

engine are cat 3160 210 hp at 2800 rpm
gear is 2.91:1
full displacment at 30 tons
48' at water line
50' over all.

and yes I have been in the wood business all my life I have done one wood boat (110') 15 years ago. I have several antique restoration shop. so fixing broken crap is what I do.
same thing just bigger.
so I am looking for all the above along with thru hull's ( they got those too)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom