Replacing raw water hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tamrow

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Chesapeake
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II
20190424_184528.jpg20190424_184640.jpg

I purchased a new 1-3/4 Inch raw water hose to replace the deteriorating hose on my Yanmar 6LPA-STP engine. Any tricks to get the new hose over the nipples on the water pump and strainer?

Is it possible for me to move this post or to have it moved by a moderator to a more appropriate thread. I obviously posted it in the wrong place.

Hair dryer or very careful use of a heat gun may soften the hose a bit and allow easier placement.

Soapy water is the best thing to use. I usually use something like spray Fantastic but you could make up a small cup of water and dish soap. Do not use anything made with petroleum. Seeing the rust stains on those clamps I would also suggest you replace those too.

Ken

I take a cup of almost boiling water and stick the end of the hose in it for a bit then quickly wipe some hose lube inside the hose and push the hose on. Also recommend replacing the hose clamps. Preferably clamps with solid bands and all S/S, check with a magnet.

As recommended above, hot water and dish soap - when it starts going, don’t stop, get it on. 2x on the clamps; ABA, 316 SS. Available online in bags of 10 for very reasonable prices (1/4 West Marine’s price). Perforated clamps will eventually fail. My boat came with all perforated clamps; I replaced them as they broke until one broke on the raw water hose behind the generator. I didn’t realize it until it filled the generator pan with water. That convinced me to spend an afternoon replacing all of them.

Is it possible for me to move this post or to have it moved by a moderator to a more appropriate thread. I obviously posted it in the wrong place.

Thread moved from 'Welcome Mat' to 'General Maintenance'.

I scrub the bronze with a little muriatic or oxalic acid and water and a brass brush or green scrubby. Cleans it up nicely and makes things a little easier installing the new hose. Hose lube or dish soap and heating the hose in warm water also helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom