network voltage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomsboat

Vessel Make
Mainship Trawler
Have a Mainship trawler with a single Yanmar STP-3STP 440 hp engine.It has a Yanmar i5601e engine gage that shows all the engine information oil pressure,oil temperature, rpm, battery voltage,etc it also shows network voltage my voltage reads about 10.2 - 10.9. I don't have the engine heater hooked up to the engine so i'm not getting a draw from there.Can anyone with this system on there boat tell me what the network voltage is when they are cruising.I have had 2 electrician look at this and they don't know why the reading is so low one guy was from Yanmar. Tom

Have you verified with a volt meter that it is ,in fact, low? I suppose the first places I would check are the plugs in the engine harness . Try unplugging & reseating the connections. Also make sure the ground connections are all tight & clean. The simple stuff first!

Yes, it's unclear what is being measured.
Check your voltage using a voltmeter and various points.

My engine voltage meter changes depending upon the phase of the moon and and other factors depending upon its mood.
So, we have a new policy: Don't ask, don't tell.

With engine running around 1500rpm, and shore power (thus charger) off, go check volts of your batts with a digital meter. Might have a dead alternator or other wiring problem. Should be 13.8-14.2Vdc.

Roughly 14 volts. Give or take a tick. (I have an analog gauge).

My engine voltage meter changes depending upon the phase of the moon and and other factors depending upon its mood.
So, we have a new policy: Don't ask, don't tell.

We used to own a boat that, when the fridge kicked on, the voltage meter dropped to about 10-11 volts and the temp guage would rise to 190F. As soon as the fridge kicked off, the voltage jumped to 13, and the temp went back to 165-170F.

It got to where if the run was under 2 hours, I'd just turn the fridge off to reduce anxiety.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom