ASD 2019 Alaska Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Hey Everyone,

ASD is in final preparations to leave the winter dock and start cruising to B.C. and SE Alaska. Our plan departure is May 1st weather and tides permitting. I will try and share our travels with a few stories and pictures.

We do have a "SPOT" and this is the weblink to the Share Page. The page updates every 10 minutes.

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0nFfVKzQcEPBWrISXhqYlZ6LsSd7evQYI

NOTE: If you click on the shared page now it will be currently be blank until we start our travels next Wednesday. Please save this link to your computer and/or device.

The blog and MMSI is also below in the signature page.

Thanks for following. If you have any questions please let us know.

Tom and Kay

Just a heads up. Be aware of the new fishing regs in BC. I'm sure the DFO will be checking. Mainly because no one is out fishing...

Just a heads up. Be aware of the new fishing regs in BC. I'm sure the DFO will be checking. Mainly because no one is out fishing...

Yes no retention of Chinook till July 15, 2019 and then very limited........
Here is a image of the closure areas.

Attachments

• Chinook_Map_E-1.jpg
    Chinook_Map_E-1.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 284
We are envious, enjoy and travel safe:thumb:

Yes no retention of Chinook till July 15, 2019 and then very limited........
Here is a image of the closure areas.

RP, Thanks for posting that. Do you also have this for Bella Bella to Prince Rupert, or a link to it?

Wait for updated information for when you get there. Easiest way is to use this app:

iphones - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fishingbc/id1202047514?ls=1&mt=8

android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sportfishingbc.fishingbcapp&hl=en

DFO site can be searched also starting here for areas: BC sport fishing guide

North of the island wasn't as affected by these recent regulations being that they were put in place to protect Fraser River stock. Details are still being worked out and made available online so be sure to check immediately prior to fishing.

Enjoy!

RP, Thanks for posting that. Do you also have this for Bella Bella to Prince Rupert, or a link to it?

Right now I think it is only to protect the southern portion for the Fraser River Chinook population, I have seen nothing further north of this diagram as yet........:thumb:

Wait for updated information for when you get there. Easiest way is to use this app:

iphones - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fishingbc/id1202047514?ls=1&mt=8

android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sportfishingbc.fishingbcapp&hl=en

DFO site can be searched also starting here for areas: BC sport fishing guide

North of the island wasn't as affected by these recent regulations being that they were put in place to protect Fraser River stock. Details are still being worked out and made available online so be sure to check immediately prior to fishing.

Enjoy!

Thank you. Uploaded the App.

Tom, I hope you two have a wonderful summer, and I wish we were going with you. Maybe next summer.

Hopefully we get a chance to meet up if you decide to head outside.

Good Weather Window

Looks like Thursday, May 2nd looks to be the launch of ASD Alaska 2019. We will fuel up on Wednesday morning, steam to Ilwaco for an overnight stay. Then cross the Columbia River bar between t 7-7:30.

ASD with the Astoria bridge in the background.

Attachments

• 20190425_112426.jpg
    20190425_112426.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 143
Now you're REALLY making me jealous.

Have a wonderful time and let's see lots of photos.

Fair winds, blue skies and calm seas, my friend.

Alaska Bound

Well I am jealous & wish I was going with you.

So beautiful up there.

Time your crossing of the swift waters that occur with the tide changes & you will be fine.

Have fun & enjoy & of course write a few posts here so we can follow your progress.

Good Luck.

Alfa Mike :thumb:

Now you're REALLY making me jealous.
Me too!! I've fished SE Alaska several times but never in my own boat. I hope you have a terrific time! :banghead:

We are headed out across the Columbia River bar this morning.1 to 3 fool long rollers. 190 miles to go to Neah Bay.

Tom
I see a gale warning for south end of outside Vancouver Island waters forecast for Saturday. With your boat you should beat it, love those 3208 twins with a fast cruise possible. Hope to see you. Safe travels.

Tom, any chance you'll swing by Bellingham on the way up? I'd buy you a beer. You know the brand!:thumb:

Tom
I see a gale warning for south end of outside Vancouver Island waters forecast for Saturday. With your boat you should beat it, love those 3208 twins with a fast cruise possible. Hope to see you. Safe travels.
We got into Neah Bay this evening. Confused seas all the way up. The ride was 13 hours

Tom, any chance you'll swing by Bellingham on the way up? I'd buy you a beer. You know the brand!:thumb:
I will keep that in mind. Friday Harbor tommow then we will be meeing up with some Canadian friend. Open invite? Hare you cruiesing this year?

I will keep that in mind. Friday Harbor tommow then we will be meeing up with some Canadian friend. Open invite? Hare you cruiesing this year?

We are in town and can connect with you if you stop by Bham. Fuel is cheaper here than Friday harbor if you wanted to fill up before Canada. The transient dock has had room on it lately. Our cruising plans are in flux due to a family issue that has popped up.

Send me a pm if you're coming and we'll get together.

Making this trip next year. Appreciate your post and all the details you can provide.

They are at Friday Harbor as of a few minutes ago.

I’m having an AA to celebrate! Cheers!

John, what's the timing on your Mexico trip?

Hi Ken,

Were at home in Vegas, finishing up a ton of personal stuff. We fly back up to the boat in Portland, end of the month and hope to cross the bar around the 1st of July for the trip south. Gonna do mostly day hops all the way down and expect to play like tourists as we most likely wont be coming back up the west coast.

Ill try and post the trip on a separate post for anyone that’s interested.

All though we will miss our cruising buddies Tom and Kay, I’m sure we will meet up with many of the TFer’s as we head south.

Cheers!

Kalama to Friday Harbor

We started this trip at the fuel dock in Kalama WA. What a pain in the butt! The machine would only give you $150 at a time. We took on over $300 gallons, so the $150 at a time to awhile.

We overnight in Astoria for the bar crossing the next morning. The bar was nice and smooth and once clear of the second green can, we turned NW for Cape Flattery. Normally from Astoria to Neah Bay is 12 hours. It took us 13 hours as the seas were all confused and we were head into a current. When we finally reached Cape Flattery the seas died down and easy cruising into Neah Bay. It would appear the red buoy at Cape Flattery was removed and a AIS buoy is now in its place. These ginger candy things also work great if your your tummy is a little upset!

We had a nice quiet night in Neah Bay, we awoke to glass seas and no wind! So, we went to the fuel dock. I swore I would never fuel here because of wind and the rudeness of the fuel dock attendant. This time, the young man helped tie us up and we took on 320 gallons of fuel. Price was $2.79 a gallon.

The cruise from Neah Bay to Friday Harbor was a nice calm relaxing cruise. We did have to dodge a few cruise ships, just arriving to Puget Sound from points south. The tourist season has begun.

Attachments

• IMG_4303.jpg
    IMG_4303.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4315.jpg
    IMG_4315.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4325.jpg
    IMG_4325.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4348.jpg
    IMG_4348.jpg