Did West Marine change their price-match policy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
I was reading on Facebook yesterday where someone was saying that West Marine has altered their price match policy to only match with brick & mortar stores within 50 miles and only Amazon products STOCKED by Amazon and not just sold THRU Amazon.

Has anyone else heard this?

Yes, a couple of months ago. Here's a snippet from the policy.

If you find a lower price on an identical product at a local retail store, West Marine will match that price within 30 days of purchase.
We will price match:

Local Stores within 50 miles
Amazon, direct from Amazon only
Sale and regular prices before shipping, handling and/or sales tax charges
Retail prices for wholesale Customers

Here's the full policy.
https://www.westmarine.com/CustomerService/Price-Policy

Last edited:
Just when I was starting to go back to West Marine they take away being competitive - that is what made it a last resort stop in the first place. They finally had a good policy which encouraged me to spend lots of money there... and now its gone. In the last 12 months I bought an auto-pilot system, windlass, AC system, and thousands of dollars of misc stuff due to their price match. Time to go back to buying through the internet. Bad move West Marine.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Yup. BAD move WM. Give yourself a shake and ask why your sales are down. PRICE!!!!!

200w.webp

Last edited:
Kidde Mariner 110 Fire Extinguisher

West Marine: $44.99
Defender: $29.99

West Marine has the best selection of marine stainless hardware and a wider variety than any other local/private chandler.

Then some things cause me to shake my head. They have a huge electronics section, but when I asked for a Raynet (SeaTalkHS) cable, they said they don't carry stuff like that. How am I supposed to install and integrate the electronics they sell me??

I view them as the store that if I need something right away, I go. If I can wait a couple days, someone else.

The price match is still not bad though for when I want it right away, but don't want to donate a huge price difference.

Kidde Mariner 110 Fire Extinguisher

They have a huge electronics section, but when I asked for a Raynet (SeaTalkHS) cable, they said they don't carry stuff like that. How am I supposed to install and integrate the electronics they sell me??

Depends on the store.

Our local WM (Seattle) has a huge selection of Raymarine gear, including cables. I'm on the Raymarine Pro Staff, and when I need a cable/connector piece today, I can usually find it in store.

I always price match WM with Fisheries Supply here is Seattle and the local WM has been good to adjust prices accordingly. The problem I normally have with Defender is their shipping costs. For me they want $16 for shipping on a 110 fire extinguisher. YMMV

Always check the manufactures web site
Sometimes its cheaper
had a Webber BBQ that the thermostat broke
It was $42 on Amazon and $19 from them Webber direct
West M has to make money and is more of a connivance if close to you
only good thing about Amazon if the product is crappy reviews kill sales and if they get enough complaints Amazon will delist

I would like to support WM when in Fort Myers, but if I have to shop to get a price for them to match, then I have to assume that anything I can't get price matched on, I'm getting royally screwed on. That's a tough relationship to have. Kind of like having an employee who steals from you when you're not watching him.

Ted

Ted

Your not really saying an employee would steal from the owner? Really?

Just this morning I noticed something fishy with West Marines pricing. Through my Port Supply wholesale account aka West Marine Pro I ordered a 50' spool of Shields 1/2" reinforced hose last November. My cost was $1.01/ft or $50.50 for the spool. When I placed the order for another spool, the website quoted me the price of $1.77/ft & $88.50 a roll. Interlux Perfection went from $67.48/qt to $77.98. It looks like they reduced their wholesale discount percentage to about what I could get it for from Jamestown Distributors or a similar sales venue at retail.

Their new policy sucks. Now I have to ask them if they'll honor the match before I go. And why is it brick and mortar stores within 50 miles? Stupid decision.

With their price matching, my orders with them quadrupled, and often bought convenience items are full retail. Now, back to the internet and other brick and mortar stores outside their area like Defender.

Guess they changed their CEO.... time again for a new one.

Always check the manufactures web site
Sometimes its cheaper
had a Webber BBQ that the thermostat broke
It was $42 on Amazon and $19 from them Webber direct
West M has to make money and is more of a connivance if close to you
only good thing about Amazon if the product is crappy reviews kill sales and if they get enough complaints Amazon will delist

OMG that typo is sooo funny!! Hope some of you caught it. :D

Is it a typo if true? :)

Thank you WM

So...... I now need to drive to Everett, WA as the local Anacortes WM no longer matches Fisheries Supply (77 Miles). But, when I am home in Tacoma, I'm just 34 miles away and all is good. BTW, WM discontinued the commissioning discount for new boat owners. This will likely save me hundreds of dollars as I get off my ass and do some real shopping for the countless little things we will need for the new boat.

Fisheries Supply in Anacortes

So...... I now need to drive to Everett, WA as the local Anacortes WM no longer matches Fisheries Supply (77 Miles). But, when I am home in Tacoma, I'm just 34 miles away and all is good. BTW, WM discontinued the commissioning discount for new boat owners. This will likely save me hundreds of dollars as I get off my ass and do some real shopping for the countless little things we will need for the new boat.

If you are in Anacortes, Go to Sebo's and order from Fisheries with Carl. Product is delivered to Anacortes the next day at on line prices.

Get an Outfitters Account from Fisheries. I’ve had two and the last was good for 6 months when we were in Trinidad. The prices were pretty close to Port Supply.

They finally had a good policy which encouraged me to spend lots of money there... and now its gone. In the last 12 months I bought an auto-pilot system, windlass, AC system, and thousands of dollars of misc stuff due to their price match. Time to go back to buying through the internet. Bad move West Marine.

You spent thousands of dollars but with the price match, that may actually represent zero profit for them.

And why is it brick and mortar stores within 50 miles? Stupid decision.

With their price matching, my orders with them quadrupled, and often bought convenience items are full retail.

The answer to your question is obvious. They can't compete with internet vendors whose overhead is a fraction of their own. They don't mind competing with other stores who have rent, utilities, employees, and inventory costs, so say nothing of the associated state and local taxes.

I guess very few TF members have had any real experience with the realities of a retail business.

West Marine has to do what they have to do. I have to do what I have to do as well. I try to buy from my local private marine store. He is usually 10% less than West. If they don't have it in stock it will be there in the morning. Amazon is used as well.

regards Holty

Dave

“I guess very few TF members have had any real experience with the realities of a retail business.”

Are you saying WM has a overhead that needs to be controlled?

My experience has been if you can’t compete on price you find other ways to compete like service. For years I have been a customer of Parks at HOpkins Carter, I can find a lower price if I looks but their customer service can’t be beat so I’m willing to pay a little more for that service (I also don’t shop WalMart).

Just my SSO.

You spent thousands of dollars but with the price match, that may actually represent zero profit for them.

The answer to your question is obvious. They can't compete with internet vendors whose overhead is a fraction of their own. They don't mind competing with other stores who have rent, utilities, employees, and inventory costs, so say nothing of the associated state and local taxes.

I guess very few TF members have had any real experience with the realities of a retail business.

This comes up over an over again, but it's not really the case. All the stores people typically compare against - Defender, Fisheries, SeaMar, Hamilton Marine, Jamestown, Sailor's Exchange, etc. - are all brink and mortar retail stores, with employees, rent to pay, and lights to keep on. If they can make money selling at competitive prices, I don't see why West can't too.

There are certain brands that the markup at WM is out of control. Ancor wire for one, Blue Seas anything is another. They are about double what Amazon gets, but they will match Amazon.

Matching prices with Fisheries isn't really a high bar, Fisheries is quite a bit higher than the internet vendors.

The Port Supply discount is around 20% or so, yet WM still thinks they make money on that. Wonder if they would make more extending that discount to everyone? I go there when I need something now, but anything big or expensive is coming from elsewhere. Anything they don't have on the shelf is a complete disaster: "We can order that, it'll be here in a week". I can order that too, it'll be here next day at half price from Amazon. Even an interstore transfer from Bellingham or Tacoma or Seattle into Anacortes takes up to a week.

Dave

“I guess very few TF members have had any real experience with the realities of a retail business.”

Are you saying WM has a overhead that needs to be controlled?

My experience has been if you can’t compete on price you find other ways to compete like service. For years I have been a customer of Parks at HOpkins Carter, I can find a lower price if I looks but their customer service can’t be beat so I’m willing to pay a little more for that service (I also don’t shop WalMart).

Just my SSO.

I think that is how a B&M store has to compete. Unfortunately, WM has not been stellar in that regard. If folks don't like WM I don't think they should shop there. I just think it is silly when they expect that a B&M store will be able to match price with an online vendor.

FWIW, I don't shop at WalMart either.

Yes I'm with you guys , very disappointed. Had a great relationship with my local store here in Tarpon Springs where I'm currently undertaking a extensive refit and upgrades. Now looks like I'm on the internet for my stuff. And they will lose the thousands I spend a month and only gain a few dollars for the stuff I cannot wait for. They told me they only match Amazon prime and Walmart.

We all vote with our wallet, if you don’t like the merchandise, price, service or attitude of the employees shop elsewhere. I like service and will pay for it, I also have a Port Supply account but still visit HOpkins Carter most often.

Dave (Dhays),
I have heard the "they cannot compete with internet vendors who do not have the brick & mortar costs" but Fisheries Supply, Defender, Fawcetts, Hamilton Marine all have brick and mortar locations and have lower prices. If anything, West Marine with their hundreds of locations should be more competitive.
When I go in West Marine and see a gallon of Rotella 15W-40 oil at $29.99 while I can get the same gallon of oil at NAPA, Advance Auto, Walmart for around half the price of West Marine. When I find Blue Seas products much less at many other locations, I cannot justify going to West Marine.
The last two exectutives at West Marine have shifted the retail focus to high profit items (clothing and consumer electronics) and to rebranding as many products as possible to private labels so price comparisons are not possible. Anyone who wants Dr. LED bulbs, many West Marines have them on clearance to make room for the WM brand LED bulbs.
I wonder what will happen when West Marine follows the model of Sears, Kay Mart, Sports Authority, and many other retailers that did not figure out how to operate in the internet world.

Our local West Marine (Slidell, Louisiana) just went out of business about a month ago. I just don't know that their business model can survive in the new internet/Amazon world.

I was in Savannah a few days ago and needed some marine stuff(boat trailer stuff). I walked into West, looked at the prices, then went to the local Wal-Mart, two miles away and paid half what West wanted for the same items.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting this, Dave. Could not be said any better.

Having worked for myself nearly all my life... I well understand competing on prices as well as overhead incurred / profit realized... depending on business model.

Business "Financial Burden" is basically every accountable factor that subtracts from resulting net profit. Without ample long term "net profit"... eventually poof - the business goes broke! Which brings me to our national debt - BUT, that's a whole other can o' worms... nurtured and fed by fiat money - LOL!

In fact: Amazon's low cost business model is eating high cost brick and mortar [b&m] retail outlets alive. While Amazon's financial burden decreases [as result from many factors] b&m stores financial burden increases, or at best remains the same.

Will be interesting to see this play out during next few years. Store vacancies are increasing at an expanding rate of closures. :popcorn:

What is occuring, is as Fed Chair Alan Greenspan perfectly coined: "Creative Destruction"! :eek:

Well I found out the WM at Friday Harbor WA does no longer match prices!

That's because the store was CLOSED as in shut down!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom