View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #18
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
Lots of good observations on TT's site. You might start here: Adventures of Tanglewood: Simrad Wall of Shame

Note the info is a few years old. No idea if things have changed since then.

I've been watching Simrad's updates and I don't think they have fixed ANY of the problems that I had. They did make some improvements in their MARPA performance, but only in new models. The products I had were abandoned by them with respect to support and updates, even though only a few years old.

So had I kept the equipment, I would still have all the same problems today. Ripping it all out was the right thing to do, in hind sight.

I'd also suggest you read CruisersFourum and TheHullTruth, and look at what happened when Simrad issues software updates. I have seem who suites of equipment rendered inoperable, or major components like depth sounders rendered inoperable. This goes on for months while they trickle out fixes.

The latest update rendered their wifi device brain-dead in some B&G systems, requiring that the devices be removed and sent back to Simrad for repair. They pulled the update, and I don't think have re-issued a corrected version.

And here's another clue. Look at which vendor is always selling "factory refurbished" units. Those are customer returns that were repaired, or were "no trouble found". This gives you some critical insight into their overall quality.