New twist on paying for school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
Not a rant but kinda. *I pay tuition for my son,1'st grade almost 4k/year. *Not to get into politics but I wanted him to have a Catholic Education. *Now the twist, *I own about 7 rentals and I pay about the same in school taxes. *Shouldn't you pay for what you use? *RRrrrrr....I don't know sometime I feel like I'm getting kicked in the nutz.

Doesn't the rent from the houses pay the property tax?

If so, your tenants are paying the school tax.

I cannot fault your choice in schools...been there done it myself.... But there is a slight reality in what Larry H says.... For each of your rental units, when occupied, the renters pay all of the taxes. On your books they are a cost of business that comes out of your profit. On the other hand if the units are empty, then you are paying the taxes yourself....

As a liveaboard...who spent a number of years in a marina surrounded by condo's with those critters called HOA's....and they used to say that we didn't pay any taxes, etc... It was fun explaining economics to them... The marina owner, while the slips are full...is merely the person who takes the boaters money and passes it to the tax authorities... and we boaters, in particular the liveaboards paid more than the homeowners did in HOA fees and taxes!

Larry H wrote:
Doesn't the rent from the houses pay the property tax?

If so, your tenants are paying the school tax.
*And the mortgage and for all of the repairs and if need be the cost, or at least some of updates in later years.* The problems are keeping them rented and collecting that rent.* Both of which can be mitigated if a little prudence is exercised. Charging the utmost the property can bring for rent will get you folks that are either short timers or other problems.* Taking a little less gets long term folks for what ever reason and they want to stay because they know they can't get the deal any place else so they pay on time and do not abuse the property.*

Of course this doesn't hold true with everyone but it has served me well in the past.

swampu wrote:
Not a rant but kinda. *I pay tuition for my son,1'st grade almost 4k/year. *Not to get into politics but I wanted him to have a Catholic Education. *Now the twist, *I own about 7 rentals and I pay about the same in school taxes. *Shouldn't you pay for what you use? *RRrrrrr....I don't know sometime I feel like I'm getting kicked in the nutz.
*When Obama Care is in full force they will remedy this. *They will remove your nutz, and you will hardly feel a thing.
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom