View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #17
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Hubby B: I think what amount of work you do yourself depends on several factors.

1. Your available time and other commitments
2. Your interest and skills in such work
3. Your financial situation and earning situation
4. How one got to where they are, childhood and work life.

I don't do any of the work. I get the full service approach, either by employees of ours or by third parties. I do the same on my house. I did the same when I was younger and poorer. That's the way we did things when I was growing up.

Growing up, my father didn't do them and I didn't. He worked. I went to school. He and my mother were business people and turned to other business people. No one in our family did anything mechanical, electrical, plumbing, carpentry. I developed no skills or interest. My father had an accounting practice and he could earn more per hour than a mechanic charged.

Wifey B: I grew up in poverty but certainly no mechanical issues or skills. Fortunately, owning a car, I could always afford getting someone to work on it. I was an exceptionally adept negotiator from 16 to 21 years old as well. I was lucky people would feel sorry for me. I hope I've repaid that to other young people on their own. I didn't get into boating until marrying hubby b and never had a need or interest in doing it myself. We'll help with washing it down, even have done the stainless and the teak but just occasional as a fun aside, not regularly or feeling driven to it.

I'm impressed by those of you who enjoy it and are good at it. However, if boating had to be DIY, we'd likely not be boaters. An hour or two helping with a good washdown goes a long ways and satisfies any craving for work I might have.

I have other passions to pursue instead of working on a boat. Things I'm truly passionate about. Now, also passionate about boating but not working on one.

There are many ways to be boaters. We each enjoy different aspects. Doesn't mean one way is better than another or one boater better than the other. While you're DIY'ing, I may well be pursuing some passion of mine.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote