Stinkpots??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sitting in Mile Hammock off Camp Lejeune, NC tonight. 3rd boat into the anchorage. There are now ten, and it ain't dark yet. There is a sailboat (late arrival) that's maybe 80' from me when our swings coincide. How did Rodney King put it, "can't we all just get along". Was thinking about firing up the generator to make some heat (going to be in the low 50s tonight). But decided I can be neighborly and just put the electric blanket (runs nicely off the inverter) on the bed instead.

70' on this swing. Daughter looks kind of cute, hmmm. If you don't want me looking at your daughter, don't anchor so close. :rolleyes:

Ted
I don't know about the need for the electric blanket. But at least if you have the windows open with no gen set running, the skitters will not bother you with all the winds that we have seen lately.

But in the southeast and when the humidity rears its head, if you do not run any ac, your fabrics and interior parts will end up with mold over time. And that's salt laced humidity too and does not clean up with a swipe of a rag on your bulkheads.

Last edited:
I don't know about the need for the electric blanket. But at least if you have the windows open with no gen set running, the skitters will not bother you with all the winds that we have seen lately.

Tell me about it! Seems weird for the wind not to be blowing 30+ tonight.

Ted

ASD,
If I ever run across you up here, I would love to have that scotch you talked about. Just not a cigar smoker. :)

No problem offer stands..

Diesel fumes are one thing...cigar stench is going waaaaay too far!!!!!!

Ha If I see you rowing into the same anchorage as me, I will light up a BIG fat one!!!:D

ASD,
An olive branch? I accept but I’ll not be taking your offerings. Already done too much of that. You learned to do that in Alaska .. right?
Thanks,
Eric

None needed my friend. I take this stuff on TF with a grain of salt and warped sense of humor.:D:dance:

Apologies for interrupting.
Some of you guys mentioned Webasto or Eberspacher diesel heaters.
We've found alternative makes which work on exactly the same principle which are obviously copies, there are models from 1KW up to 8KW usually supplied with a silencer(just check, as some aren't).
They cost around £200 sterling and are advertised on eBay.co.uk or you can buy them from Wish.com.
One of the tech guys in a boating magazine in the UK subjected them to a heavy testing and gave them a thumbs up.
I fitted an 8KW model to our cruiser and it works perfectly, it cost 220 Euro plus 60 for import duties as opposed to £3,000 for an Eberspacher. I insulated the pipes with 'clip on' Webasto insulation which definitely helps the efficiency of the system.
We use them on simple 'fan' mode in summer (around 38/40 degrees C) and the 'wind chill' effect helps to cool the air a little.
I hope this info helps someone.

Last edited:
"But decided I can be neighborly and just put the electric blanket (runs nicely off the inverter) on the bed instead.”

There are 12v electric sheets that work even better than electric blankets.

The sheet heats the mattress and the blankets on the bed , so when you crawl in the bed is warm!

Even more delightful is that portion of the bed you do not occupy is also warm!

Cold feet? Slide them over a foot to a nice warm area.

https://electrowarmth.com/comfort/

These are made as 12V bunk warmers or 120V for larger double beds.

Last edited:
Apologies for interrupting.
Some of you guys mentioned Webasto or Eberspacher diesel heaters.
We've found alternative makes which work on exactly the same principle which are obviously copies, there are models from 1KW up to 8KW usually supplied with a silencer(just check, as some aren't).
They cost around £200 sterling and are advertised on eBay.co.uk or you can buy them from Wish.com.
One of the tech guys in a boating magazine in the UK subjected them to a heavy testing and gave them a thumbs up.
I fitted an 8KW model to our cruiser and it works perfectly, it cost 220 Euro plus 60 for import duties as opposed to £3,000 for an Eberspacher. I insulated the pipes with 'clip on' Webasto insulation which definitely helps the efficiency of the system.
We use them on simple 'fan' mode in summer (around 38/40 degrees C) and the 'wind chill' effect helps to cool the air a little.
I hope this info helps someone.
Check your insurance. My policy states that all heating devices on board be UL or CSA listed.

Lithium Batteries could power an AC for reasonably short periods (perhaps several hours) but they would be very expensive, require a fair amount of space and still need to be charged off engines or genset daily. A quiet well maintained genset below decks should not put out too much noise or odor. If it is hot and humid I don't see why anither boater would object to it and if so annoying then that is their problem.

READY,
Most all green routes are more expensive.
But as an old friend of mine usta say that bought one of the first Preius cars after I told him his car was not cost effective. Eric ... someone has got to lead the way. I’m not prone to be a “someone” but I’m always watch’in.

The large OTR trucks have batt powered air cond , for their sleeper cabs, for a decade.

Problem is its only about 5,000 BTU so it does fine with a small cabin but can not do multiple cabins or the entire vessel.

Small aircons of 9k or 12k btu can be very efficient, especially the split units. It would be interesting to see what some here find is the minimum run time to keep sleeping cabins comfortable during the evening. Example, a 9k unit running for 30 minutes, once every two hours. That could easily be accommodated with a big house bank. Then fire up the genny in the morning.

"But decided I can be neighborly and just put the electric blanket (runs nicely off the inverter) on the bed instead.”

There are 12v electric sheets that work even better than electric blankets.

The sheet heats the mattress and the blankets on the bed , so when you crawl in the bed is warm!

Even more delightful is that portion of the bed you do not occupy is also warm!

Cold feet? Slide them over a foot to a nice warm area.

https://electrowarmth.com/comfort/

These are made as 12V bunk warmers or 120V for larger double beds.

Thanks! This should save diesel from being squandered in the old Washington Stove Works cast iron beast on cold nights...probably more efficient to heat the bed and turn down the stove :thumb:

"Now, the Honda buzzing away on the deck is a different story. We keep hearing how they're so quiet, just isn't so. You can hear the unmistakable drone of a portable gas generator from clear across the anchorage. It seems owners always pick sunset to crank them up."

No truer words have been spoken on the generator debate. Bottom line, it doesn't matter if the boat is power or sail, its a question of what the generator is and how its set up. I have been next to inboard generators that were whisper quite - the lower the revs the quieter they are. Diesel tends to be better than gas - the gas ones tend to be higher revving. Of course the muffler set up has a lot to do with it.

I'll echo the sentiments on the "Honda's" - they are torture.

Most probably don't follow "Gone With the Wynns" video blog, but if you have enough money to throw at a problem as they evidently do, you can have air conditioning without a generator, but your lithium battery bank will be large:

Running Generators at Night

I'm currently negotiating for a 2006 Mainship 34 that is equipped with Rolls Surrette batteries. I'm told that they will last several hours under load, but have yet to have the opportunity to test this. Maybe one could operate AC over-night without running a noisy genny?

Premium Marine Batteries | Rolls Battery

I'm currently negotiating for a 2006 Mainship 34 that is equipped with Rolls Surrette batteries. I'm told that they will last several hours under load, but have yet to have the opportunity to test this. Maybe one could operate AC over-night without running a noisy genny?

That they are Rolls Surrette, or Optimas, or Acme is irrelevant. It's a basic math problem. A/C uses a given amount of energy in a given amount of time to do a given amount of work. If the battery bank stores enough energy to meet that demand, it will work. If it does not have enough energy, it matters not who made them, it won't work. Y'can't get 10 pounds out of a 5 pound sack.

The rest of the story regarding running AC off of batteries is that you then have to recharge them. While this may be less of a problem while underway as you're producing power with the alternator, it means a lot of generator time or 2 or 3 boats worth of solar panels. Understand that running the AC off the generator, is more efficient than recharging the batteries with a generator and then converting stored power into 120 VAC (both charging batteries and converting with an inverter aren't 100% efficient).

Ted

We put a curtain or blanket over the passageway tween the main salon and the fwd berthing cabin. Turn off (shut) the aft heater outlet (air) and the amount of fuel consumed is dramatically reduced.
Most of the heat loss is through the windows in the main salon.

Re: noisy heaters:

The Espar & Wabasto Heaters *are* indeed noisy. (They Sound like small jet engines.)

The Wallas heaters on the other hand are truly silent and literally cannot be heard more than a foot away from the exhaust outlet.

Something to consider if you want to keep your remote silent anchorage quiet.

- evan

I believe that's what the broker was inferring, that one could run the AC on a hot night and pull up anchor in the morning. The port engine is equipped with a much larger alternator which apparently charges the Rolls mush faster. I guess time will tell.

Haha, generator, haha. When I flush my 40 gallon **** tank then you can call me a stink pot, of course I’m way out were it’s legal and I don’t ever see a sailboat

not here

before we sold our 26-year stinkpot (36 years old when sold) i found myself trotting along behind buses in new england winters just to enjoy the aroma.
the genset could not be heard from 30 feet away but we only used it "after hours" in emergencies..............
my few sailing adventures had me twiddling my thumbs WAY too much !

My wife has MS and needs to stay cool. We run the generator to power the air conditioner before we put the boat in the water and don't shut it down until she's back on the trailer. That was for 8 days straight when we were on Lake Powell.
https://youtu.be/tnCwmXRYavo

A large boat is going to run a generator, there is no way around it. I usually switch to a smaller unit at night but sometimes even this is not possible.

Strange how we can go for days, even weeks at a time without using ours living aboard, on the hook.
Solar panels, marvelous things.

Strange how we can go for days, even weeks at a time without using ours living aboard, on the hook.

Why is that strange?

A temperate climate that doesn’t demand air conditioning is a marvelous thing!

I saw that. I was asking why he thought it was strange that he can go a couple of days using solar.

I don't think its strange.
I think its strange that the poster thinks a larger vessel can't exist without a genset as a daily use item

Back
Top Bottom