Self Build Trawler Yacht 50ft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billyb

Hi All,

I am in the process of wiring my 50ft trawler yacht and have a question, that I am hoping someone can answer:

I have two thousand amp hours of batteries, I am using a Victron 8kva Quattro inverter charger and need to know why most manufacturers split the total amount of batteries into two domestic banks? Why not a single bank?

Thanks, Billyb.

I don't think most manufacturers have two house/domestic banks. Our boat has a house bank, engine start battery and a generator start battery. All are separate. I've seen boats with twins where each engine has a separate bank, one of which also serves as the house. The only benefit I see for two separate house banks would be redundancy in the event one bank goes flat or shorts out.

Hi All,

I am in the process of wiring my 50ft trawler yacht and have a question, that I am hoping someone can answer:

I have two thousand amp hours of batteries, I am using a Victron 8kva Quattro inverter charger and need to know why most manufacturers split the total amount of batteries into two domestic banks? Why not a single bank?

Thanks, Billyb.
Redundancy.

I would build it as two separate banks and have them joined with a heavy duty battery switch (1, 2, both). If you have a problem with a bad call, switch to the unaffected bank unit you resolve the problem with the other.

Ted

BB
Suggest you read Nigel Calder's book or contact him directly. Also look up CMS out of Maine. Steve D sometimes visits this site, he may well respond or contact him directly too. All 3 of these groups are pros and current. On a new build, this is your chance to get consensus from the right guys.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom