Gulfstar 43 Dimensions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denverd0n

Guru
Thinking about going to look at a Gulfstar 43, with the twin berths in the after cabin. Before I do, I am hoping to get some comments from someone who has one.

First off, wondering what the length of the twin berths in the back is. Second question is, from the layout diagrams I've seen, it looks like the knee-room, in the forward head, when sitting down, might be a bit tight. Is that true? If so, how seriously so?

I'm 6' tall, so the headroom isn't an issue, but I've been on some trawlers where the berths were just barely long enough for me, and where my knees are banging against the door or the bulkhead when using the head.

Don't want to waste my time if these things are going to be issues with the G-43, so thanks for any information you can provide.

I own a Gulfstar 43 trawler. I find both heads very roomy. I think the heads are larger than on comparable sized boats I've been on. Regarding the beds in the rear stateroom, I sleep on the port side and my wife sleeps on the starboard. We've got plenty of room. I don't have the exact measurements of the beds but I will be at the boat in a few weeks and will measure them for you if you still need the info. I guess the only way to really know is to lay down in the bed and see if it's long enough for you. My boat is currently in Alabama on it's way to Tennessee. You are welcome to look at my boat if if works for you logistically.

Got a PM from Roger Long that the berths are 84" long. That's great. Being right at 72" myself, I find that any berth less than 78" is uncomfortable. So 84" will be just fine.

Thanks for the response.

Gulfstar 43

Have owned one for 18 years VERY comfortable live aboard.have twin in the arts but sleep in the double/queen..invest in a good mattress you won’t be disappointed..live aboard 6 months a year..very economical to run..avg 3-400 hrs per year

43 dimensions

The aft cabin is big and has a large bed also room to move around, at least ours is.

Yamabuki, I’m looking hard at a 76 MK11 what size fuel tank does your 43 have and what kind of fuel consumption do you get.
Thanks

Tink,
I’m asking all the MK11 owners (as I may become one) about fuel consumption, what has been your experience and what is your boats fuel capacity.
Thanks

Over thousands of miles of record keeping, we average 2.8 GPA at an average speed of 7 knots in our 1975 MK II. We generally cruise at 7.25 - 7.5. These figures include generator consumption. A day's run at higher speeds for weather or schedule can easily add another GPH to the consumption.

Attachments

• Gypsy Star FO Tank Curve.jpg
    Gypsy Star FO Tank Curve.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Gypsy Star GPH.jpg
    Gypsy Star GPH.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Gypsy Star Range Curves.jpg
    Gypsy Star Range Curves.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 24
  • RPM vs. Speed.jpg
    RPM vs. Speed.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 17
Roger thanks so much, a great help!
I presume your engines are 6.354’s n/a ?

Yes. Wonderful engines.

Some diesel places that deal in Perkins will tell you that no parts are available for the reverse rotation starboard engine. We almost didn't buy our boat because one said "Run, don't walk away." Then I asked Trans Atlantic Diesel in Hays, VA. You'll get to know them very well if you buy this boat. They said it's true that computer searches show no parts but that's because they gave EVERY starboard engine part a different part number. Only about six parts are physically different, like the cam shafts. The engine is likely to be toast anyway if one of those goes. Just look up the corresponding parts for the port engine and order them if you need something. TAD is great to deal with and very helpful.

Another can of worms

Anybody on board with an opinion on Gulfstar 43 Trawler being any more rolly-polly than the average? I’ve read that although the 43 has rounded bilges the keel has a countering effect?

My fuel consumption pretty much mirrors Rogers. Same tank shape. I have a hard time slowing to 7.5 knots. I usually cruise at 9 knots burning 3 gallons per hour. My engines are 6.354 turbo. Had to replace a turbo this year. That sucked.

I don't know if it's more "rolly polly" than any other round chine boat. It's mostly a comfortable ride but it can roll around some if the sea state is bad. I try not to get caught out in bad seas. I know, I'm a sissy but I need to keep my wife in boating.

Back
Top Bottom