Gfi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both duplexes are different, one has an opened ended connection while the other has a build in trip mechanism that detects any current leakage to ground. When you plug the tester in both there are different results.*

Oh well, can't help any more on this topic.

Elwin*

What you're claiming is that some specific tester has internal circuitry that detects the GFCI and then performs differently on a GFCI than it does on a regular duplex.* There may be such a tester - the link you posted made no such claims and it didn't contain sufficient details to determine whether the tester illustrated had that capability.* I doubt it does but leave that aside for a minute.* Now we have to assume that the OP has such a tester with that specific capability and that is why his problem is occurring.* Most testers that you pick up at Home Cheapo or Wallyworld can't even test the GFCI function, let alone having*this added ability to detect whether they are plugged into a GFCI outlet that you are*now claiming.*

Like I said - I'm not convinced.

Actually, most testers DO have the function to test the GFCI function. When plugged in to the GFCI or any outlet downstream in the same circuit, the tester normally indicates correct wiring and path to ground by way of the indicator lights. USUALLY there is also a button that, when pressed, will cause the GFCI outlet to trip in much the same fashion as the test button on the GFCI outlet itself. This function should trip the GFCI, regardless of which outlet (in the same circuit and downstream of the GFCI outlet) it is in if the circuit is wired correctly.

The key is "wired correctly". Any GFCI outlet will have the connections identified, usually as LINE and LOAD where LINE refers to power coming INTO that outlet box and LOAD refers to anything beyond (or downstream) that outlet box in the circuit. To protect the downstream side, the wiring feeding the downstream side MUST be attached to the LOAD terminals of the GFCI outlet. If the GFCI is installed off a pig tail type of splice to the LINE side only, it will only protect at that outlet, leaving the balance of the circuit in an unprotected state, as it was before the GFCI outlet installation.

This tester available at Home Depot has that function, the description at the link explains all it's capabilities.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/out...tester-circuit-analyzer-120-vac-1-clam/963591

The "test" for most is weather the inverter will operate with that GFI.

IF the wall cheapos are too sensitive , there are GFI circuit breakers that can be installed in an old power panel.

RT Firefly wrote:
*and I'm also aware that replacing a duplex with a GFCI in any circuit protects ALL of that circuit.**

Only if it's the first receptacle on the circuit and only if it's wired to protect the downstream receptacles.* The instructions will be in the box to do it either way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom