View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #10
rsn48
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I in the midst of refit so phone calls and visits to my boat (an hour away in Comox from Qualicum Beach) making the multitude of decisions redoing just about everything except for the hull, even some of it is getting worked on, and top side, and it too is getting worked on. This is my way to say I'd like to respond to some of your comments but it will have to wait a day or two.

So I thought I'd tell my short photo story. My first camera bought in Victoria BC in 1974 while in Navy Officer Fleet School was a Konica T3, built like a tank, didn't need a battery to work but had the old mercury batteries no long available for assistance when metering. It was shutter priority only and was what the sales clerk handed me when I asked for an idiot proof SLR.

Fast forward to my first Canon which was the 10s, the second level down from the top in its inception. What was unique with this camera was a bar code reader that could read bar codes then input them into a camera. So for example, if I want to shoot water fountains with the water droplets stopping in mid-air, I found that page in the book, read the bar code, inserted the code into the camera, then shot. It worked.

Then the first Digital Rebel DSLR from Canon, the first DSLR below a thousand dollars, then onto a Tsi Rebel, then a full frame Mark 4 and then into the Fuji system. I am big into Street Photography so I have the X100f view finder that I love. I also got the T1 even though the T2 was out as for my needs I knew the T1 would be capable of taking excellent photos. It became my hobby to find only used lens for the T1 and I literally saved thousands going this route. I got the T1 as I have an electric bike that I will be using pedaling around the country side shooting rural images and I wanted a camera that didn't cost an arm and a leg should I fall with the bike. I didn't want to damage my Mk 4 camera and more expensive lenses.

Everything I bought used, including the camera, all look brand new, thankfully most amateurs don't use their gear that much.

Fortunately I'm in an area with lots of wildlife, eagles, whales, sea lions, harbour seals, ducks of all manner, the occasional cougar (Vancouver Island has the highest concentration of cougar - mountain lions - in the world).

I edited this in, for those in the Victoria BC area soon, go to the Imax theatre located at the museum across the street from the Empress Hotel and see The Great Bear Rainforest move - 41 minutes long, you'll quite like it.

And here is a trailer from it: [Go to Youtube and full screen this trailer]

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote