Buying line direct from New England Ropes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJHoffnet

Vessel Name
Changes in L'Attitudes
Vessel Make
1999 Maxum 4100 SCA (not a trawler)
I'm looking to get a new set of docking lines and want 5/8 inch, double braided nylon at 30ft (bow and stern) and 50 feet (springs). I can't find those lengths in stores/online stores (WM, Defender, Great Lake Skipper) and I can't seem to find a link on New England Ropes site for buying directly from them. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

We just bought a spool of 5/8 line and spliced them ourselves, easy to learn. A lot of chandery stores will do it for you as well.......

New England doesn’t sell direct to consumers but if you give them a call, they’ll probably be able to direct you to a dealer who has them or can order them.

It might be fun to buy a spool of the rope and learn to splice your own.

My old company sells Samson Rope which I believe to be the equal of NE. You might want to give Ronny a call there and see what they have. The number is 305-635-7377.

Amazon has both those sizes available in several colors. Search 5/8 new england rope

Two options (I've used both)

Buy a spool of the rope you want to use, a fid, push rod and
instructions then DIY

or

for an example go to a supplier for the commercial fishing fleet,(we have one here called Redden Net, no connection), select the rope, tell them how long a line and the size of the eye you want spliced in.
Here I pay for the line and a set amount per splice, very reasonable.

The Canadian folks that work the boat shows have always provided great lines at pretty decent prices. I get mine at the shows but they do ship. At the show they've done clever things for me, like cut a 50' line in half and put an eye on the 2nd piece to make two lines. No charge for the cut or 2nd eye loop. That's pretty decent service.

https://www.onlineropestore.com/

I have spliced 5/8” double braid line before. It is more difficult to do as you get bigger. 1/2” DB is pretty easy, 5/8” not as easy with arthritis in your hands. Be careful when you buy prespliced DB. Some are not properly spliced as they don’t run the inner core back up into the line so the only strenght left is the outer cover. If you hold the splice up so the eye is up, if the eye makes a Y it is probably a good splice, if it makes a P then it probably isn’t a good splice. When you get a Y they did run the inner core back into the line at least a bit.

I have spliced 5/8” double braid line before. It is more difficult to do as you get bigger. 1/2” DB is pretty easy, 5/8” not as easy with arthritis in your hands. Be careful when you buy prespliced DB. Some are not properly spliced as they don’t run the inner core back up into the line so the only strenght left is the outer cover. If you hold the splice up so the eye is up, if the eye makes a Y it is probably a good splice, if it makes a P then it probably isn’t a good splice. When you get a Y they did run the inner core back into the line at least a bit.

A couple of years ago I bought 200' of 3/4 and 50' of 3/8 nylon double braid. I cut and spliced so that I now have a complete new set of mooring lines and fender ties. I found no difference in the ease/difficulty of splicing either size, until the final pull. As I was using black with a white core, this showed any slight failure to get all of the inner core to disappear into the cover at the intersection of the Y. All of my previous experience splicing double braid was with white on white, so this particular show of the last 1/4" of the core may have occurred but not been visible in the all white ropes.
After working the rope for a while, I was able to make that last bit of white disappear on all but one of the splices in the 3/4 and easily on all of the splices in the smaller rope.

I'm not sure who's line they use, but Ropes.com will make up lines to your specs. Length, splices, chafe protection, color coded warping so lengths can be easily identified, etc.

Thanks to all for your inputs. I've placed an order with Cajun Ropes.

Back
Top Bottom