Old 04-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
stevemitchell
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
We have a 7 year old Fusion setup that works well...but the more i read about Sonos, the more we like the capability....
Coming from the sailboat world, I worried about the amp draw and power usage of Sonos while out and about. Of course, while motoring, I don't care now (such a quick transition to not caring!) but while at anchor, I still am a crazy amp counter.

I did quite a few tests of the dual Play 1's and subwoofer compared to a modern Fusion head unit with 100W of power and one and two zones of speakers. The difference (minus the subwoofer) is negligible in overall DC amps used (Sonos is inverted/110VAC vs Fusion using DC direct) yet the quality in sound is sooooo much better. Even adding the subwoofer wasn't that much more in power usage.

The overall experience with Sonos is just a lot better. I've been a customer of theirs at home since their beta days, and the software is easy to use, allows you to group rooms in creative ways, integrates with just about every music system in the world, and is just really well done.

We use the TV sound bar functionality a ton, and you can take the input from your TV going into the soundbar and share it to all the other speakers in the house/boat, which means you can still hear your TV program (or sports game if you like that sort of thing) wherever you are on the boat!

For the boat, I also download music to my iPhone which you can play directly to the Sonos, and I have a Plex server aboard for TV and other things when we're away from any useful internet connection. Sonos can play from both of those, which makes it nice in those situations.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote