Wew Westerbeke 15KW Genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
Starting about a year or so ago our Westerbeke 15KW was giving us fits. It would run, then not run, not start, then start for a few weeks then not start for a couple of weeks.

So this year my fixit guy and I talked about whether to rebuild it or replace it. After much back and forth we decided to replace it. The biggest reason was that if we rebuilt it we would have had a new engine but an old generator portion, and the cost of rebuilding both ends was greater than the cost of a new one.

So I took the boat over to Columbia Marine Center around November something for them to pull the old generator out. After they got it out I brought the boat back to the slip and they ordered the new genset.

It took awhile to get the new genset because what Westerbeke is producing now they paint white. We wanted red to match what was originally on the boat.

So after the first of the year the genset came in. Woooooo Hooo was it ever pretty. They had to order some ancillary parts and pieces so we scheduled a time in April when we came back from AZ when I could take the boat over and they could put the new genset in.

I did that, then we took off for AZ again. After a few weeks all the parts and pieces came in. Jim sent me a teaser text message of the new genset running in the boat. JERK!

We got back from AZ last Thursday (a week ago) and Friday morning I was at the marina to see their work. This thing is REALLY QUIET! With sound shield installed, from inside the salon you almost cannot hear it run.

So here are a few pics of the new baby....

Lampson Crane came over to hoist it into the boat. Jim and crew had to remove the aft bimini from the frame for them to be able to drop it into the cockpit.

IMG-3008-JPG-1.jpg

Here it is, hanging from the crane rigging, about to be set on the cockpit floor.
IMG-3010-JPG-1.jpg

Here's their cherry picker setting it down into the engine room.
IMG-3015-JPG.jpg

Elevator going down.....
IMG-3019-JPG.jpg

Heading to the basement....
IMG-3023-JPG.jpg

And here's a shot of it in place
IMG-3030-JPG.jpg

and from another angle...
IMG-3031-JPG.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking new Westerbeke!
I’m curious how many hours were on the previous one before you decided to replace it?
Congrats!
Taras

Red on the inside, White sound shield right? Hope they improved the clasps for the external panels of the sound shield. The old design “Sucks” , My only gripe with ours.
Now, onto detailing the engine room to look as Spiffley as that new Genny.

Cheers, Maybe now you get off the Columbia and head North a bit?

Hey Crusty you might have hit something. Red unit, while sound shield.....

Too much sun Mike???

Naw, red and red. I didn't want anyone to confuse the white genny with the white Cats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom