Charging on the hard with 110v

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RRHD

Vessel Name
Traveller
Vessel Make
Main Ship pilot
I have a 2004 mainship 34 pilot. Can I charge the battery following winter with 110v. What precautions or items should I be aware of. Should main battery be on or off?

Just plug in to 110V shore power and charge away. Turn the battery switch to all.

David

We leave our charger on all winter in the barn. Ours is a smart charger so it will cut down as the batteries charge. Make sure if they are flooded that they are full with water.

Best practice is to only fill above plates before charging, top off w water after fully charged.
Avoids any boiling over

Charging in Spring

Check that all battery connections are clean and tight. Test each battery using a load tester and insure battery meets specs for load and voltage.
Then run charge system per normal procedure. I had the exact same boat that used a Xantrex charger with a remote status panel mounted next to the main circuit breaker panel. Having that in view at all times was great to have.
It connects to the charger with a phone style cable.

Some chargers are adjustable , if yours is, reducing the float setting to 13.2 should get you thru the winter without needing to visit to add water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom