What's the deal with my fresh water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bridaus

Vessel Name
Morgan le Fay
Vessel Make
KK 42
I've found the pump.

I've filled the tanks.

I've hit the switch. Nothing.

Found three relays by tracing the wire, push them with screwdriver, and all three (what?) make the pump run. But it doesn't pump any water.

So what am I missing? Unfortunately I don't have many hours on the boat yet, as I just re-positioned it, but will be there for the day tomorrow.

Looking for some ideas to try and see what the deal is.

I'm going to try and trace the relays somewhere, but that looks very difficult due to the next stops on the wiring (through raceways).

I'm thinking to get water flowing, the pump would need to be primed (I thought most freshwater pumps were self priming?)

What seems weird overall is why are relays needed? Wouldn't this just be a single on/off switch and a pressure switch at the pump?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Are you sure that what you have found is the potable water pump? It sounds like a raw water pump that serves three A/C units, thus the three relays.

I can't imagine why a potable water pump might be controlled by relays.

David

David

unless there is a switch at each point of use heads/galley. make sure there isn't a winterizing valve between the pump and tank .

Pics??

Is the pump you're focused on powered with 120V? If so, it's not likely to be the potable water pump. That's more likely to be 12VDC. Is the piping connected to a strainer and thru hull? If so, DEFINITELY NOT the fresh water pump. It will trace back to the tank.

What David said...

Are you sure that what you have found is the potable water pump? It sounds like a raw water pump that serves three A/C units, thus the three relays.

David

Air conditioner pump would explain the three relays.
How about posting a photo of the pump?

Most KK42’s water pumps were mounted on the starboard side of the engine room about mid fuel tank, forward of the water heater. Wired from the factory, there’s a circuit breaker at the main panel and no fuses.

95% sure it's 12v by the connections. Will double check.

It's connected to the freshwater washdown in cockpit. So I'm 95% sure it's freshwater.

It's not connected to any strainers.

Checking for another valve is a great suggestion.

Most KK42’s water pumps were mounted on the starboard side of the engine room about mid fuel tank, forward of the water heater. Wired from the factory, there’s a circuit breaker at the main panel and no fuses.

This is stbd aft of water heater.

Our freshwater pump is just forward of the hot water heater as well. The only thing I could think of on our boat that might be wired with 3 relays would be the shower sump pump. One switch at each shower and one for something else that is using the sump (sink maybe?)

Might be an inline shut-off valve in the plumbing between tank and pump?

Ours has a valve and then a small strainer after the tank and before the pump...

-Chris

Might be an inline shut-off valve in the plumbing between tank and pump?...

Good idea! If I remember correctly, there was sometimes a shut off valve for the tanks. It was located in the locker in the guest stateroom under the floor. A panel came up. I think there was another access under the stairs going down from the salon. There may also maybe a shut off at the bulkhead just to the right of the engine room electrical panel where the water lines from the tank enter the engine room.

I did check the top of the tanks and the T where they join, those are all open. But I did not see a valve in the engine room yet. I will look for that.

BTW, side question: Do the tanks self balance? It looks like water is taken from a top feed, which would lead me to believe that they would not.

I did check the top of the tanks and the T where they join, those are all open. But I did not see a valve in the engine room yet. I will look for that.

BTW, side question: Do the tanks self balance? It looks like water is taken from a top feed, which would lead me to believe that they would not.

Ours has a gate valve inside the engine room between the tank valves and the pump, same as Larry describes. Our tanks also draw from the top, they are not self-balancing. We get about a 2-3 degree list when only one tank is full.

Ok, I had the wrong pump.

The real fw pump was forward of the hw heater. It was electrically disconnected for no apparent reason. Took a meter to the disconnected wires found 12v only when fw switch on, hooked up and she primed and pumped.

Now I need to figure out what this other pump is. Current guess is some sort of saltwater wash. It connects to the floor hose connector in the cockpit. I'm back at the boat next Thursday and I'll keep digging into what that pump is...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom