port screens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wfleenor

Vessel Name
Double-Wide
Vessel Make
49ft Custom Power Catamaran
I have eight of these that I would like to have screens for them. I would guess they are of China origin but they have no markings. Any chance someone recognizes them? Thanks.

Bill Fleenor
Double-Wide

Attachments

• 20190402_065756.jpg
    20190402_065756.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 70
Not too hard to make if you can't find them.

Our technique works well , but may require a tool to be purchased.

Mostly a big heavy copper for soldering that roofers use ,and a propane torch to heat it.

Simply bend thin 1/8 brass tubing to fit easily in the opening and then solder on brass screening.

You may have to use a hammer to slightly flatten the tubing to be sure the port closes on it.

After the first one they will be a snap to create.

Low temp solder as used for radio repair is fine as even if it has lead , few want to open the port and lick the screen.

The big roofing copper does a proper job in soldering terminals on tinned wiring, after crimping.

The heat it produces can melt the solder at the and NOT pass the heat to the wiring to make it stiff.

Lena made these using plastic window screen, binding and Velcro. Every year or so we have to renew the Velcro on the window frames but the screens sure store easy when we’re not using them.

Attachments

• 34C91161-691B-4B92-8B28-6AC144A21107.jpg
    34C91161-691B-4B92-8B28-6AC144A21107.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 61
  • E7C489D4-F947-4A0C-89D7-AAD6DE573B72.jpg
    E7C489D4-F947-4A0C-89D7-AAD6DE573B72.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 8DF79ED5-3FD9-48DD-8C4C-E97A8B46F613.jpeg
    8DF79ED5-3FD9-48DD-8C4C-E97A8B46F613.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 224
Fuller Portlight screens might work for you. Sam's Marine carries them.

i made a dozen for my circular port holes

was super easy for circular, just bought hard plastic tubing, one a size smaller to insert into the larger one, wrap or glue screen on, and thats it. took 15 minutes to make a dozen and cost $30

I have eight of these that I would like to have screens for them. I would guess they are of China origin but they have no markings. Any chance someone recognizes them? Thanks.

Bill Fleenor
Double-Wide

Those are from NFM in Port Townsend. You can get their screens, but they are a PITA to fit.
https://newfoundmetals.com/product-category/portlight_accessories/screens/

But even worse, they lead to surface rust staining where their rubber surround rests on the SS (oxygen starvation). Perhaps cleaning & polishing the SS, and then a couple of coats of good wax would overcome the issue, but I've yet to try it.

And yes, I had not cleaned the ports for quite a while.....

Larry's approach of DIY velcro ones might be a better way to go.

Attachments

• Port rusty.jpg
    Port rusty.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Care to expand on that? I'd bet a few of us would appreciate learning how best to tackle this job.

If you want permanent screens, you can remove the port, stretch the screen across the opening, fasten with staples, super glue, etc. Apply bedding and remount the port.
To make removable screens, make a frame from a brass or bronze rod of about 1/4" and bend to fit. With good measurements, a good sheet metal shop can machine bend the rod. With the finished rod, soldier the gap, and make temporary internal braces, usually wood, so the stretched screen doesn't pull in the rod. Stretch and attach the screen with super glue or soldier.
For a better screen make the rod frame about 1/4" smaller in both directions. Split an 1/8-1/4 vacuum hose and wrap the rod.

Some people make a varnished wood frame.

Back
Top Bottom