Kadey-Krogen 42 pilothouse doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rnummi

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bare Necessities/Daydream/In-Motion
Vessel Make
Albin 27FC/Kadey-Krogen 42/Navigtor Classic 53
Just saw my new solid teak pilothouse doors. OMG what an improvement. Dmitriy my trusty teak carpenter (www.marineteak.com) in St. Pete Florida just rescued my boat! The new doors are stunning. No more plywood, solid teak, beveled edges. I’m so jazzed! 2k for two doors what a steal. Anyone know who the OEM door hardware supplier was? I’m not looking for the hinges, rather the handles etc. my 1982 KK42 hardware is unbranded.

My original doors were solid teak. Did PO mess them up?

Ahh they look like solid amigo... lower panels teak veneer over Marine ply (at least in 82)

Teakmarinewoodwork dot com

I got the dang site wrong again

Could be P.O. replacements on mine (although they sure look OEM). Mine were used and abused and ultimately painted by P.O. with Kilz. Upon stripping, mass wood filler in each corner of lower panel. New doors are solid teak 1.25” thick 9” wide boards epoxied together with biscuits. Feels like a bank door vault.

The variety & quality of the items on their site looks impressive. A browser bookmark for sure.

Just saw my new solid teak pilothouse doors. OMG what an improvement. Dmitriy my trusty teak carpenter (www.marineteak.com) in St. Pete Florida just rescued my boat! The new doors are stunning. No more plywood, solid teak, beveled edges. I’m so jazzed! 2k for two doors what a steal. Anyone know who the OEM door hardware supplier was? I’m not looking for the hinges, rather the handles etc. my 1982 KK42 hardware is unbranded.

Do you have pictures perchance? I'm trying to decide between white aluminum replacements or teak replacements.

Old vs new.

Restoration vs rejuvenation...

:)

I'm considering aluminum and teak. Al for the ocean going and updating the boat, and teak if I decide to keep the current look and feel that teak is strong enough. Leaning towards aluminum at the moment, the Kadey is ocean capable, and I feel that updates that make it more so increase it's value, versus keeping it as a show/antique/precious/don't go far boat.

Also, for those who have done the aluminum, what's the process like?

Call/order, they ship to your yard, they install? Cutting of the pilothouse required, or snug fit to current opening? Any downsides/issues?

I’m also interested in aluminum replacements, anyone know what the ballpark cost is per door?

I have a related question. The side hatches on our Defever rattle noticeably when the Lehmans are idling. Do any of you have that issue or found a cure for it? I’m thinking of some felt insulation strips but would consider anything already proven to work.

I’m also interested in aluminum replacements, anyone know what the ballpark cost is per door?

A few years ago I talked to a KK owner who had DSG doors fabricated. My memory is *very* fuzzy but I think he quoted around $6K a door. I do know I thought "wow, expensive".

I believe David Hoar had aluminium doors made for Pacific Sapphire. He has since sold the boat. If I recall correctly, it was a difficult fabrication and he had to work with the installation quite a bit.

Jim

If they are 6K per door, then a substantial teak door is the way I'm going. Looks better, much less cost, and I believe for a premium could be made as well or better...

I did not think aluminum would be that costly.

Had mine redone solid teak Dutch doors.

Richard, yes, pretty sure you started the thread... :)

In addition, I will probably use your recommendation after all the discussion. I have some other priorities first, and I'm trying to think if I have enough teak whether it's best just to take her down to St. Pete next year for easier measuring/fitting.

You have pics of your doors by chance to show off?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom