Looking for crew (ICW MD to FL)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gadabout

Vessel Name
Gadabout
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 40'
I have no idea how this works so I"m just throwing it out there!

I need to move my 40' trawler from the Maryland area to SW Florida. I'm looking for 1 or 2 people to help along my journey. I've only owned the boat for 2 years so I'm still somewhat a rookie myself. My wife has accepted work in Florida and we are relocating south. She needs to report to work sooner than expected and won't be able to take the trip with me so I"m reaching out to see if there is any interest.

The trip will take about 4 weeks. Starting early to mid June. You don't need any prior experience as I really just need a second set of hands for docking and anchoring, and company. But any experience with boating, maintenance, and ICW route is fantastic!

About me: I'm a 38 year old male, married no kids. Drinker not a drunk. Non smoker. Funky not a junky. I love music, adventure and boating! Type of guy that gets along with almost everyone. High moral standards and strongly believes in karma.

About the boat: 1988 Island Gypsy Trawler. 40' in length 14'6" beam. Dual helm with flybridge. Twin Lehman diesel power. Genset, AC/heat. Fair shape, considering it's 30+ years old. It's mechanically sound (relative to it's age) and in okay cosmetic condition. 3 stateroom layout with 2 heads. I'll be taking the aft cabin, leaving the pullman bunk room and forward cabin and head for the crew member. Zodiac dingy for ship to shore use.

I'm on a budget so I'd prefer staying at anchor whenever weather permits, and limiting expensive marina stay. Most meals cooked aboard, but I'm also looking forward to experiencing the adventure and dinning out and exploring sometimes.

I'll cover all expenses with regards to the boat, fuel and marinas. You will need to cover your meals, drink, etc.

If interested shoot me a PM with any questions you may have and tell me a little about yourself. We can start a conversation from there and see if it sounds like a good fit.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Any thoughts on when you might want to do this?

Also consider looking for people for sections of the trip rather than the whole.

I would also clarify that meals on board are covered, meals ashore are not, right?

Plus, let us know your first name. If people are going to be in close quarters...

Looking to start the trip early June. Happy to consider folks for sections of the trip. Meal expenses are open to discussion. I suppose I was expecting to supply some meals, but not offering a fully paid high end experience by any means. Meals ashore not included.

Some details were omitted on purpose due to work place concerns. Shoot me a PM and I'm happy to share more.

I'm not interested, but figured I would offer you a few observations.

I've done the trip from Fort Myers, FL to Crisfield, MD eight times in one direction or the other. I travel at 7 knots. Fastest time was 13 days as a delivery run (had commitments I couldn't get out of). 3 weeks is a reasonable pace moving most days with a few weather days. 4 weeks is leisurely. While getting the same crew for 4 weeks might be good, consider breaking it up into 2 or 3 sections. You may get lucky and find someone who can getaway for 4 weeks, most people don't have that kind of freedom or vacation time. While most of my trips are solo, occasionally I'll have a friend aboard for 4 or 5 days. Can't imagine having someone I barely know onboard for 4 weeks.

If you need information on anchorages, bridges or other stuff, don't hesitate to ask. I'm currently headed North anchored in Georgia just below Skidaway Island.

Ted

Ted,

Thanks so much for the info. I'll shoot you a PM as I could use all the tips I can get.

Back
Top Bottom