View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
denverd0n
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker75 View Post
If I put the boat in a marina in WI or in IN (rather than in IL), will I pay WI (or IN) sales/use tax, or, because I am an IL resident, IL sales/use tax?
Sales tax, and requirements to register, very rarely have anything to do with YOUR state of residence. They have to do with where the boat is bought/sold, and/or where the boat is kept.

I do not know the specific laws in WI or IN, but even if I did I would suggest that you should verify them for yourself. If they are similar to most of the states that I am familiar with then keeping the boat in (for example) WI would mean that you must register the boat in WI. And when you register it there, if you have not paid sales tax elsewhere, then you will have to pay sales (use) tax to WI.

Generally speaking, this sort of thing has nothing to do with whether or not you document the boat with the CG. There are exceptions, but most states will require you to register your boat with them if you keep it there, regardless of CG documentation. If it is documented, however, you will NOT display state registration numbers on the boat.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote