View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
2bucks
Guru

Erratic Temperature Gauge

Just a shot in the dark on this, but in my experience a short is a quick one time abnormal movement. A bad ground is the slow moving, dim light, sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't problem.

If it were me I'd loosen the mounting nuts on the guage, wiggle it around a little to scrape a clean surface, then retighten and see if that makes it all better. Changing the wires to the other guage and it then working properly tells you the problem is the particular guage. Working OK sometimes and not others says there is a variable in the mix.

Do you notice that it goes off scale when the cabin gets warmed up? That could be the guage expanding a little and losing it's only little spot that it is grounding in. Could it be that it acts up only after you turn on another item? Are they grounded together causing the problem?

Guages that act up only when warm can be "simulated" with a hair dryer to warm them up and cause the fault without running for 1/2 hour or whatever. Just let the engine run in the slip, in gear will bring the temp up faster, but in either case use the hairdryer to heat up the guage and see if you can't make it peg even before the engine is warm.

Ken Buck
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote