Propane/vs Microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geoleo

I have a new to me 34ft Taiwan Trawler DC. It came with a propane Force 4 stove -4 burner,oven. looks new--hardly used---- with Tank up on Flybridge. There is little room for food storage in Galley arrangement. Im thinking take Stove out --take tank out too.-put Microwave in (have a Freedom 2500 Inverter that works well and use Inverter to do any cooking /heating hot water. Id sell stove,put Microwave in its place and use old stovetop area for food prep. Comments?

Interesting idea- but we prefer propane for cooking- no genset or inverter to worry about.

It really depends on your intended usage- day/weekend cruiser of full time liveaboard?

Greetings,
Mr. g. You can build or buy a board that will fit right on top of your current stove if you need the area for food prep. A microwave, while a VERY useful appliance will limit what you can cook. Pasta, for example...

I have had the boat a year and never cooked except on 5 day delivery trip. make coffee with a Mr coffee just like at home. The stove is just taking up space uselessly.- If removed I could put a lil micro where stove top was and have pantry storage cabinet where useless oven of stove was below. :socool: Also have a useless 'pull -out' wine storage cabinet to sit on and steer boat inside.

I think that you misunderstand what an inverter can do. It can convert 2,000 watts of DC power to AC power to run microwave, water heater (showers), etc. But you have to have a big battery bank to run it and a way to recharge that bank.

Some numbers:

It might take 15 minutes to boil water and make pasta for a spaghetti dish. That will take about 1,000 watts or about 100 amps DC or 25 amp hours. Heating hot water for a shower takes about 1,500 watts for at least 30 minutes to heat up the water tank. That takes 150 amps or 75 amp hours.

Together that is 100 amp hours plus another 50-100 amp hours to run lights, fridge, TV or ?? That is more than you can draw down from a two GC battery bank for decent life. So you need more batteries, at least 400 amp hours. And how are you going to recharge those 150-200 amp hours?

An inverter is great for short high wattage loads like reheating a dish in the microwave or warming up your cup of coffee. But not for heavy, long term loads.

David

Having owned both boats and restaurants, my first shortcoming on propane is the lack of making the same BTU's as nat gas. However, I would choose propane over a microwave any day of the week!!!!
Microwaves destroy a food's nutritional value.
If you have any doubts, get two small potted plants of the same variety and make sure one of the plants is only watered with tap water. Water the other plant with water that has been microwaved to the boiling point then let it cool down to room temp before you water the plant.
You will be shocked at the results of how each plant develops.

We have both a microwave as well as a propane stove. The microwave is only used when connected to shore power for the most part because as DJ mentioned it will quickly "burn" through the available amp-hours of the house batteries. I have also been known to use the stove to heat the cabin on occasion. The oven pulls double duty as a storage place for cookie sheets and cutting boards. When the stove top is not in use it gets covered with a board that expands the counter top. Our "pill-out" wine storage cabinet has been converted to a pantry that easily holds two weeks of canned goods.

Your use may be different though. We typically spend one to two weeks at a time on the hook.

I have a new to me 34ft Taiwan Trawler DC. It came with a propane Force 4 stove -4 burner,oven. looks new--hardly used---- with Tank up on Flybridge. There is little room for food storage in Galley arrangement. Im thinking take Stove out --take tank out too.-put Microwave in (have a Freedom 2500 Inverter that works well and use Inverter to do any cooking /heating hot water. Id sell stove,put Microwave in its place and use old stovetop area for food prep. Comments?

I have an AT34 so I hear your concerns. I have an electric stove, a microwave, electric hot water heater and and 1500 watt inverter. I only power the microwave briefly OR a 120 outlet when using the inverter.
My suggestion is, leave the boat as is for a year. You might get used to it or learn to like the flexibility.
Per food storage in the galley? You can alway find room to store the non-perishable elsewhere on the boat. Just have to remember where you put it. Most of my non-perishable are stored in a couple of locker in the fwd stateroom.

You do have a generator? Use it. If you have A/C or a resistance heater, a generator is necessary if you are not hooked up to shore power.
How do you heat water for your showers?

I have an electric stove that I've probably used 3 times. I'm a griller with the grill on the upper deck. It's either getting grilled or going in the crock pot. Couldn't cruise without my microwave. Heating frozen vegetables, heating soup, and making pasta are my most common uses for it.

You could always use the oven as a storage cabinet.

Ted

I have a 3 burner propane oven that only serves as pan storage. A stovetop cutting board expands the counterspace. I disconnected the propane due to my uneasiness with the 42 yr old onboard propane system and the flybridge console mounted tank storage...not ABYC compliant. I also have a small microwave that is mounted on the opposite countertop. I'd love to do the same and ditch the stove to gain more counterspace.

I still carry propane though. I sometimes grill on a propane grill with a portable propane tank. The tank lives in a secured, open area on my FB, disconnected from everything. A 12 ft propane hose easily reaches my grill when needed.

I love to cook and often come to the boat with a variety of home cooked or prepared meals, ready to cook. The house bank handles the load from my 1000W inverter. I have a Honda 2000 on my FB to help out when needed. It's almost easier to start the gen for the microwave cook time to save having to recharge the batts for a longer period following inverter use. It's just a little noisy in the cockpit. If I'm fishing or underway, the inverter does just fine.

My other favorite cooking device (besides the coffee maker) is my electric skillet. It stows easily in the cabinet and runs well on my little inverter for daily hot breakfast.

Do you have a generator, wind or solar to help when anchored?

Last edited:
I have an AT34 so I hear your concerns. I have an electric stove, a microwave, electric hot water heater and and 1500 watt inverter. I only power the microwave briefly OR a 120 outlet when using the inverter.
My suggestion is, leave the boat as is for a year. You might get used to it or learn to like the flexibility.
Per food storage in the galley? You can alway find room to store the non-perishable elsewhere on the boat. Just have to remember where you put it. Most of my non-perishable are stored in a couple of locker in the fwd stateroom.

You do have a generator? Use it. If you have A/C or a resistance heater, a generator is necessary if you are not hooked up to shore power.

Do you use your microwave to do all your cooking at home?
Besides all the above good advice, if you don't use a microwave exclusively at home, you won't be happy with it on the boat.
A microwave cooks food by boiling water molecules in your food.
How much do you like boiled meat?:dance:

Having owned both boats and restaurants, my first shortcoming on propane is the lack of making the same BTU's as nat gas. However, I would choose propane over a microwave any day of the week!!!!
If you have any doubts, get two small potted plants of the same variety and make sure one of the plants is only watered with tap water. Water the other plant with water that has been microwaved to the boiling point then let it cool down to room temp before you water the plant.
I do not eat potted plants

Good idea on the year delay--Im a lil impulsive from a cortisone shot!!

To be fair this experiment is only valid if you also boil the other water in another way such as induction or flame. Also, I always heard it was baloney. Have you actually tried it?

Do you use your microwave to do all your cooking at home?
Besides all the above good advice, if you don't use a microwave exclusively at home, you won't be happy with it on the boat.
A microwave cooks food by boiling water molecules in your food.
How much do you like boiled meat?:dance:

Any and all meat should be cooked on the grill anyway. So, point invalid.

Anybody who think that a microwave can be THE appliance to have aboard to cook is better to go out for diner and is obviously in no way near a cooker.
No offense here just reality.
So the question is what do you call cooking? If this is taking a "hungry man plate" out of the freezer and warm it up, yes a microwave is your swiss knife, anything beyond well not at all.

L

Mon Dieu ! Useless wine storage ! ! :rolleyes:
What ever is the world coming to ! :eek:
We live on board and have both microwave and gas. We very rarely use the microwave and then only on shore power.
A nice juicy golden roast in a gas oven beats the hell out of anaemic looking tasteless boiled meat.
When we bought our (new to us) ex hire cruiser we removed the gas supply lines and replaced them with all new to the highest standard, our propane bottles are stored in an airtight locker with overboard drain in case of accidental leakage.

My boat is in for refit. It is a 29 foot express cruiser that is 50 years old this year. Like most boats storage in the galley is tight. I am having a kind of pantry cupboard added, that is roughly two feet wide, 5 feet 11 inches high, and about 6 inches deep. I could if I wanted include a drop down work board but on the other side of the galley is a door into a clothes hanging area. A pull up board is being installed to provide more prep space. I am keeping the propane Force 10 two burner and oven.

Try to re-imagine your galley area with the thought of adding storage or adding a pull up board that extents your kitchen work space.

PS: The potted plant thing is a myth and only done once. Can you imagine basing an entire method of cooking on one home brewed experiment. That's what happened with the microwave water killing a plant. Another person replicated the experiment and believe it or not, his microwaved water plant thrived more than the other non-microwaved water. Both only one experiment, so is your glass half full or half empty with microwaved water.

And I also agree, one doesn't really cook with a microwave. I'm guessing we won't be seeing the OP on any cooking shows soon. Sounds like this person is a take it out of the freezer and zap it kind of guy or gal.

My other favorite cooking device (besides the coffee maker) is my electric skillet. It stows easily in the cabinet and runs well on my little inverter for daily hot breakfast.
Ditto! We use our electric skillet constantly as well as our micro wave. Cooking meat? barbecue! :blush:

Attachments

• Nu wave.jpg
    Nu wave.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Walt & Nu Wave.jpg
    Walt & Nu Wave.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 77
  • barbecue.jpg
    barbecue.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Meal.jpg
    Meal.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 74
It really comes down to how YOU use it. If it were our boat, not having a stove would be a nightmare. I would also be concerned about when I sell the boat down the road. Most people are going to want a stove.

To be fair this experiment is only valid if you also boil the other water in another way such as induction or flame. Also, I always heard it was baloney. Have you actually tried it?

It has been tried and is in fact nonsense:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/boiling-point/

The assertion that microwave cooking (focused heat) is worse for nutrition vs. other indirect heat is also a lot of gas and wishing.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/does-microwaving-food-destroy-its-nutritional-content/

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/microwaves-and-nutrition/

It's actually better than some other methods, but varies by food, method, etc.

Same thing will happen if you boil the water by any method you choose (stove, microwave, solar, over a fire, etc.). It is not the microwaves, it is the heat.

A good part of the reason for cooking food is that it breaks down the structure of the food into something the human body can extract nutritional value from (or more nutrition than from uncooked food).

Generally speaking, boiled water is better for human consumption because there will be less pathogens present.

Due to their weather many of the Euro boats are fitted with broilers to cook their meat , in stead of an oven ,and don't bother with outside grilling.

Ordering proper "Hob" from a Brit or Euro source might solve some folks problem.

We live on board in Europe and use a propane powered cooker with 4 rings for pots, a grill and an oven.
In the summer we have a portable electric grill for al fresco eating on the upper deck.
We don't carry a charcoal barbecue for reasons of storage space and rare use.
I'm not sure of the term 'broiler' in the cooking sense.

Anybody who think that a microwave can be THE appliance to have aboard to cook is better to go out for diner and is obviously in no way near a cooker.
No offense here just reality.
So the question is what do you call cooking? If this is taking a "hungry man plate" out of the freezer and warm it up, yes a microwave is your swiss knife, anything beyond well not at all.

L

I beg to differ. Maybe it's your reality but it's not everyone's.

You sound like a man who doesn't heat leftovers or pre-cooked meals on the boat. I cook daily at home regularly bring my dishes/leftovers to the boat. It works great for my lifestyle. BBQ ribs. corned beef, tri-tip, grilled teriyaki chicken, Sweet and Spicy SW-style beans, soups and chowders, beef stew, daily hot breakfast, crabcakes, Yakisoba stir fry, ...all prepared at home and reheated onboard via the microwave or electric skillet.

Can't remember the last time I ate something processed out of a box or fast food. That's the stuff that'll hasten your demise, IMO.

This is a great thread. My boat has an electric stove, which I absolutely HATE! I cook a lot, both on board and at home, so I like gas or propane fired stoves. I have taken to using a single propane burner to make coffee in the AM so I don't wake up my wife with the generator. I will refit some day with a propane stove, but haven't gotten to it yet, as the boat is in MX and I am not.

I would like some more info on the electric skillets that you folks like, that sounds like an interesting option for me. Sorry for the hijack.

Cheers, Bill

If you don't have a stove at home, you won't miss it at all on the boat.

However if you ever want to sell that boat, you can deduct the price of installing a new stove, plus a considerable adder, from the price you will get.

An electric stove is bad at home, and useless on a boat. I just pulled mine out, threw it away, and replaced it with propane.

I beg to differ. Maybe it's your reality but it's not everyone's.......You sound like a man who doesn't heat leftovers or pre-cooked meals on the boat......... ...all prepared at home and reheated onboard via the microwave or electric skillet.
Atta boy, Al! A lot of us here on TF feel exactly the same way! :thumb:

I found I never used the oven. I was able to separate the 4 burner top from the oven and the oven was float tested. I now have the microwave there + storage space.

Back
Top Bottom