Good marina’s in NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmk2000

Hey all, not a trawler guy here yet. But love the idea someday once I’m retired of a trawler. My current boats a 21’ Hydra-Spirts Walkaround. We’ve got a nice Cuddy for sleeping and are thinking about taking a trip from our home in Beaufort NC down the ICW a ways. Say maybe Myrtle Beach or so. We’ve never done anything like this before but we love adventure. Looking for Marina’s that are in close proximity to stores and such if possible where we could resupply. We plan to have a full cooler and a hibachi grill. We’ve camped many times on the boat but never done a trip. Thanks for the suggestions.

That is going to be a really fun trip in that boat. You'll get under all the bridges so can pretty much pick your pace. No issues with depths near some of the spots prone to shaoling.

Casper's in Swansboro is right downtown, shoes and restaurants. Bit of a hike to a grocery but someone there can usually give you or get you a ride. This applies to all I'll mention.

Any one of the marinas on either side of the ICW by the bridge in Wrightsville Beach fits
this. We walked over to a Harris Teeter from there and good selection of eateries right by the water.

Southport Marina is a nice facility, walking distance to town not unlike Beaufort.

Next stop Myrtle Beach. Many choices, Barefoot Landing et al. I'd encourage you to proceed beyond Myrtle Beach and explore the beautiful Waccamaw River and tributaries. Lots of pretty offshoots like Bull Creek if you want to anchor out and camp. One of our favorite destinations on the entire east coast. There are some pretty marinas in there too all of which have eateries, the ones east side of the river are close to shopping as well even though you feel you are in the woods.

Check out the Waterway Guide site for details or better yet buy the book.

Greetings,
Mr. J. "... we love adventure...". THAT'S the spirit! I can't give you any information about your planned route but would suggest:

Towing insurance.

Try not to overpack "stuff". 21' ain't much. I can speak from experience. This summer will be the 4th year we head off with our two grand sons (9&13) AND the dog in a 23'er for a week.

Also, don't rule out staying ashore in a waterside motel IF the weather is or has been really bad. A good nights sleep in a warm dry bed does wonders for one's outlook. Along the same lines, have some good meals ashore as well. Take your time and relax. Treat yourselves. This IS an adventure, after all...

Caltex, Thanks so much for the input!

RT- I never leave home without my Towboat insurance. Get it every year. Some marina’s I save 10 cents a gallon by having it. We definitely would plan on eating some meals out in town, that’s part of the adventure. But in the essence of doing things on a budget the Hibachi grill does have its perks!

Last edited:
South bound; Osprey Point, Southport. North bound; Oriental, Northwest Creek in New Bern; Dowry Creek in Belhaven. Use Waterway guide, Active Captain for more info. Enjoy the trip

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom