Standard Horizon GX2200

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiltrider1

Guru
Vessel Name
AZZURRA
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 54
I read some where that you can buy a USB cable that can be wired directly to the GX2200. Plug the USB into your computer, Coastal Explorer can then open a port and read the data.

While I already have GPS and AIS data on my Raymarine E140w. This would give me a complete independent backup system.

Has anyone done this?

Attachments

• 614opQN5o5L._SL1001_.jpg
    614opQN5o5L._SL1001_.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 50
Any computer gurus out there that can easily say this would work for a fraction of the cost and I would have to add to the NEMA cable length anyway?

https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-Con...e&qid=1555241744&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

This would probably work. The problem lies in the chip that these USB to serial adapters employ. The device pictured uses the FTDI chip, which has drivers that will work with CE. The driver problem is well-documented. Devices that utilize the Prolific chip can be a problem. Some work, but they're unstable and unpredictable. Same with the GPS-USB devices. Compatibility with apps other than CE also can be problems

So the thing to look for is the chipset. FTDI works, Prolific, not so much. Most of these devices will specify the chipset they use although you may have to drill down in the spec sheet to get a definitive answer.

The other thing that is relevant is whether the device is opto-isolated. If it is, there is a light driven interface that electrically isolates the connection between the 2 devices, protecting from transient spikes and other potentially damaging problems. The referenced device appears to NOT employ this technology. The isolated devices are generally a bit more costly, but safer for the gear on both sides of the connection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom