Weird Electrical Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bridaus

Vessel Name
Morgan le Fay
Vessel Make
KK 42
Fridge ran off shore power fine.

Eight hour trip, now it only runs off generator.

What is the answer to this riddle?

Edit: 81 KK42

With only those details I would guess a transfer switch or relay not operating correctly or in the wrong position.

Good luck, keep us informed.

Rafe

With only those details I would guess a transfer switch or relay not operating correctly or in the wrong position.

Good luck, keep us informed.

Rafe

Why would there be anything but a120 bus between the main switch and the fridge?

OK. Then you have likely lost one of the phases. If other devices on the same side of the panel are inoperative that is the case. Could be at the pedestal, cord, inlet or transfer switch. If you have an inverter it could be goofing off. If it is a 12/120 refrigerator you should be able to get by on 12-volts until you figure it out.

No 12 volts on this fridge. Just 120.

50amp is still single phase isn't it?

(Technically split phase)

Last edited:
I assumed it is a 240-volt/50- amp which would be split phase (two hots and one neutral). If one of the hots is not working you will lose circuits on that part of the system.

Do you have an inverter?

No 12 volts on this fridge. Just 120.

50amp is still single phase isn't it?

I do have an inverter (old Heart) but it's not Inverting in this scenario.

Shore or Genny.

I eill check... But that would be weird. I thought all US marina 50amp was 120v.

Only 120/50 I find is on inland lakes. You might try resetting pedestal breaker or different pedestal if possible. Also if you have a Y-adapter try to 30-amp outlets. Anything to keep you beer cold;-)

Do you have a 208V switch on your panel?

Check your shore power input ligts - are they solid green or blinking.

I eill check... But that would be weird. I thought all US marina 50amp was 120v.
Our boat has 50A/120V and 50A/240V and our marina was able to supply us with both. On my power panel there's a switch position to accommodate if we're visiting a marina that only has 120V and we're using two 30A inlets. That gives us 50A/240 and 50A/120 through the panel.

giphy.gif

Switched pedestals, everything works. I have some learning to do...

Grab a multimeter, super useful to have on the boat and would help a lot in this sort of troubleshooting.

Grab a multimeter, super useful to have on the boat and would help a lot in this sort of troubleshooting.

I do/did, at the time I was at dinner musing about what to check. :)

Now I know how it works, easy to know what can go wrong. Systems.

Yes the joys of a boat, for every system you fix or upgrade a new thing pops up :)

The most useful tool I never thought I’d use has been an Endoscope (small camera on a flexible cord) that works with an iPhone, only like 40 bucks on amazon and brilliant at looking behind things, tracing wires, making sure you don’t drill into things, etc.

Fridge ran off shore power fine.

Eight hour trip, now it only runs off generator.

What is the answer to this riddle?

Edit: 81 KK42
Check the breaker on your DC panel.

Sorry, didn’t read all the threads before my flip response.

Bridaus, a good routine to get into is checking the power pedestal for power and receptacle types. I’ve done-it and I’m sure others have, You get all your dock line adjusted and set only to find out there’s no power at the pedestal. Bummer !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom