Bridge Project in Galveston Nears Completion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dougd1

Moderator Emeritus
<h1 class="entry-title headline">Some of you out there may find this project interesting even if you don't travel these waters. This article came from the Daily News in Galveston, Texas. The photos came from an unknown source...maybe the newspaper as well? Enjoy!</h1><h1 class="entry-title headline">*</h1><h1 class="entry-title headline">Bridge span to be moved into place</h1>By Michael A. Smith
The Daily News

<abbr class="published timestamp" title="2012-02-07 00:00:00">Published February 7, 2012</abbr>
GALVESTON In the next few days, a team of more than 100 people will begin moving a 1,580-ton span of railroad bridge from a construction site on Harborside Drive to a spot just northeast of Galvestons causeway, where it will be affixed between two huge, blue towers.

The intricately planned and choreographed operation will be a high point in an $80 million project to replace an old and notoriously narrow rail drawbridge.

The old bridge spanned only 105 feet. That narrow gap was one of the trickiest places to navigate along the entire Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. The new bridge system will give mariners on the waterway a slot 300 feet wide through which to pass.

The move could begin as early as Wednesday, or as late as Friday, depending on such variables as the weather, and take the rest of this week and most of next week, Brian Watson, senior project manager with Cianbro Corp., said. Pittsfield, Maine-based Cianbro Corp. built the bridge in a joint venture with Birmingham, Ala.-based Brasfield & Gorrie.

The First Step

The plan for the move and installation fills 600 pages in a three-ring binder. It spells out where every crew on every shift should be and what they should be doing down to about the minute.

The first step in the journey of two or so miles will be getting the massive, looming span off a series of concrete foundations, which were used like sawhorses while it was being built, and onto a barge.

The dimensions involved illustrate what a task that will be. The span is 382 feet long, 27 yards longer than a football field. Its about 50 feet tall, the height of a five-story building, and 22 feet wide.

Crews have knocked out all the foundations except the ones supporting each end of the span, Watson said. Soon, trailers will be rolled under and lift the span, which then will be hauled over a series of ramps to the bay and onto a 300-foot-long, 100-foot-wide barge.

The team then will spend several hours lashing the span to the barge and making the whole rig weighing in by then at about 1,700 tons seaworthy.

When thats done, and wind and other weather factors allow, tugboats will push and pull the barge to a staging point on the Intracoastal Canal.

When the barge with the span gets to that spot in the canal, one of the busiest commercial waterways in the country will be closed, and a clock will start. The team will have 72 hours to get the span installed and in operation or face penalties.

Simple On Paper

Conceptually, the plan is simple. The tugs will push the barge into the gap between the two blue towers. The barge will hold the bridge span about three feet higher than it needs to be to mate up to its moorings on the towers. Pumps will push water into the barge until it settles the three or so feet needed to get the span into the proper spot.

Simple; or it would be, if not for the details. Along with the sheer mass involved and the fact its all riding on water, there are finer details.

For example, the space the span must fit into is only five inches wider than the span itself, giving the crew maneuvering it home only 2.5 inches of space on each end. And thats just one alignment. All four bottom corners of the span have to be aligned with their counterparts on the towers so the railroad tracks align properly.

Its a three-dimensional problem, Watson said. It has to be true and square. It cant be tilted, pitched or yawed.

Crews will do the fine alignment with winches and cables and by filling or venting ballast tanks in specific spots inside the barge.

Plug-and-play

Its an oversimplification, but the span is a little like a huge plug-and-play module. It will arrive at the bridge site complete with everything it needs to operate railroad tracks and ties, lights, even its final paint job.

When the span is in the right place, crews will set about connecting 64 2.25-inch steel cables that will anchor it to the towers and raise and lower it when the bridge operates.

They also will have to make numerous electrical connections and adjustments and conduct tests on the bridges systems.

The new bridge should be ready to accommodate rail and marine traffic Feb. 17.

Half-million Hours

The old bridge was built in 1909. It featured two railroad tracks and a roadway for cars. Cars stopped using it in 1935.

In 2001, The U.S. Coast Guard declared the old bridge to be an unreasonable obstruction to navigation and ordered the passage widened to 300 feet.

The Coast Guard is paying 95 percent of the construction cost, while the other 5 percent will be split among Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway, the city of Galveston, the Port of Galveston and Galveston County.

Construction began June 1, 2010, and the projected completion, including removing the old bridge apparatus, is June 1.

The project directly employed about 150 people, many of them local, at its peak and will have generated about 500,000 man-hours of work when its done, Watson said.
img_5262_0_c08429694d356b0e06f795a227003b83.jpg
img_5262_1_23e90c675f233acfcf555591a0b678e7.jpg
img_5262_2_0a451e072ba07fa14727316b7ac70fab.jpg
img_5262_3_f6a663b94fa0e704c40e8a4d3ab45f5b.jpg
img_5262_4_41a86c7824aa826b2cc236628a43b887.jpg
img_5262_5_648a4e2760d9202b0310cbf8765aa15b.jpg
img_5262_6_754a9f97613f841e59ce268317c8a688.jpg
img_5262_7_458c74e80c6a5930e16dfb33a8142442.jpg
img_5262_8_b2ae6f5df8c111ec055ab6b6fd547624.jpg
img_5262_9_b9da2ded57bf8ab90d708535a4971245.jpg

Pretty cool! I've been watching them build at both locations for some time now.

And a nice calm day for it.
Steve W

dougd1 wrote:The old bridge spanned only 105 feet. That narrow gap was one of the trickiest places to navigate along the entire Gulf Intracoastal Waterway. The new bridge system will give mariners on the waterway a slot 300 feet wide through which to pass.
The last 2 pics really are good at illustrating how important this project is to those that cruise through this part of the ICW. This narrow passage has been the site of MANY near misses as well as a few collisions!

The RR bridge in Houma Louisiana was removed and loaded onto barges about a year ago I believe it has or will be erected in Freeport TX.
Steve W.

Doug, is that the Gulf Freeway causeway at Galveston?

Fantastic, Doug. Thanks for publishing.

And the bridge was (partially) built by a Maine company. Is that good or bad?

Gulf Comanche wrote:
Doug, is that the Gulf Freeway causeway at Galveston?
Yes. Most of the pictures above appear to have been taken from the I45 freeway bridge over the ICW. The railroad bridge is on the East side of the freeway.

dwhatty wrote:
And the bridge was (partially) built by a Maine company. Is that good or bad?
It may have been contracted to a Maine company but the span was actually built in a yard a few miles to the South just off of Harborside Drive in the City of Galveston. I'm sure that most of the paychecks earned on the project will be spent in and around Galveston!
wink.gif

Darn! We need the $$$ up here badly.

You're right Charles. This one was always very carefully navigated. Now I get barges will try to*meet at*the span. We'll see! I never thought that area was a problem, as long as you always used the radio to see what was coming/going. I have heard some significant cussing though at that area. :)

No $$ to pass. Just need to hail "Galveston causeway railroad bridge" on 16 or 13. Also a good idea to call for concerned traffic approaching from the opposite direction, east or westbound.

This generation of US kids is growing up with out an Erector Set ,

will work like this be done for us in the future by Chinese imported labor?

I wonder if the bridge will default to usually "up" or "down" position.

Here in Washington NC , there is a rr bridge across the Pamlico that mostly stays open for boat traffic unless a train needs it..

I don't know how often the bridge tender needs to close it, but it may be significant that he doesn't even monitor Ch 13 or 16. You need to know his cell# !

ARoss wrote:
I wonder if the bridge will default to usually "up" or "down" position.

Here in Washington NC , there is a rr bridge across the Pamlico that mostly stays open for boat traffic unless a train needs it..

I don't know how often the bridge tender needs to close it, but it may be significant that he doesn't even monitor Ch 13 or 16. You need to know his cell# !
*The one in Downtown New Bern is the same.* It is a swing and closes on an approaching train.* I'm not sure there is a tender there ever.

I think asking an approaching train to stop so one could go through would be a little presumptuous. Then again for some maybe not.

There's a rr bridge on Hwy 55 going north out of New Orleans, it spans part of Pass Manchac. It stays open except for daily traffic in and out of New Orleans and is controlled out of Missouri, I think. There's an 800 number and address posted that you can call and find out when it closes for traffic. Last year it was down and there were some guys working on the rails nearby who were going to be there awhile; I called and asked if they would raise it for a few minutes and let me through and they did, pretty cool.
Mike
Baton Rouge

Back
Top Bottom